Sleeping at night

My daughter, who is 14 months, is still waking up a lot at night. And its not a.. wakes up and plays in her crib.. its a wakes up screaming until someone gets her. We recently switched her from whole milk, to rice milk (she was on a hypoallergenic formula for the first 12 months) and it seems to have helped somewhat, we also added in some mylacon too. Seems like she is still waking up with really bad gas pains.. any suggestions as to what might help?

The last couple nights have been horrible, she is up for hours on end and unable to sleep because of what is obviously gas pains.. She has a doctors appt next week, but we are getting desperate for sleep! (especially me being pregnant!)

Thanks in advance!

dueinfeb2008

Asked by dueinfeb2008 at 3:05 PM on Apr. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Is she having regular bowel movements? Is she possibly hungry still? Is she teething and that may be the cause of the pain? have you tried a laxative or stool softener?
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 3:08 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Oh I've been there! We decided she was having bad acid reflux, so when she laid down at night it would give her heartburn. Does she still spit up more then you think is normal? Our dr gave us Ranitidine, which is basically an acid reducer and it helped immensely! She started sleeping through the night like the next night. She is now off of it, and doing great. We also took her off cows and put her on soy which helped as well. She is now back on cows milk and doing great!! I hope you find some answers!!
    avpriddis

Answer by avpriddis at 3:12 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• My doctor told us taht mylicon doesnt really have any proven results but are you putting her right to bed after she eats? if not try sitting up with her for 30 min before you put her to bed with her last feeding. It might help !
    1timemom1108

Answer by 1timemom1108 at 4:08 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• PS: ohh ive heard Gripe Water helps with bad gas too
    1timemom1108

Answer by 1timemom1108 at 4:09 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Toddlers don't need milk (or juice). They need water and healthy foods. If you are concerned about your child getting enough calcium, there is great information here: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/strong_bones.html

Super Baby Foods is the best book on the planet to teach you how to best feed your baby. You should be able to find it at your local library. More information at www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 4:16 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Thanks for the input guys, we do let her be up for an hour after she eats, then she gets a bath and goes to bed. We used to use gripe water when she was younger but we were told it doesn't really help.

I'll have to bring up the acid reflux thing, she doesn't spit up more then normal, but my husband has super bad acid reflux
    dueinfeb2008

Answer by dueinfeb2008 at 5:21 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I disagree with gripe water not helping, as a general rule anyway. Its mostly ginger, the same stuff they use in natural anti nausea medication, and ginger ale. It work most of the time for my son. If it seemed to work for you, give it another go.
    DestinyWarrior

Answer by DestinyWarrior at 5:33 PM on Apr. 25, 2009