how can you tell the difference between water breaking and regular discharge

I am almost 37 weeks pregnant and have been having more and more discharge lately. It is usually a spot and is whitish, and I have a couple spots a day. Lateley along with that is some clear discharge and I cant tell if it is normal or not.

andrea5979

Asked by andrea5979 at 3:12 PM on Apr. 25, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Trust me when I say you will know when it is your water breaking...it will almost be like you wet yourself.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 3:22 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• A large amount of fluid?
    andrea5979

Answer by andrea5979 at 3:23 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• mine actually broke in the hospital while I was in labor. It felt like I had peed myself, minus the control of peeing.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 3:27 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• My water broke at 4 a.m. and woke me up. It was definitely noticeable. And you keep on leaking. It's clear and doesn't have an odor to it.
    Anonymous

• You will know the difference. My water broke at work and it was a lot. I had that discharge towards the very end of my pregnancy. Sounds like the time is coming soon!
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 4:17 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Well, You will definately know. I got up to pee on that day and as soon as I sat on the toilet and started to pee, I heard a little pop noise and water just started going and going. It sounded like I was still peeing but I wasn't. It just kept going for a few minutes and Then it slows down some. But you will know!!!
    tiffanyec21

Answer by tiffanyec21 at 4:42 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• It will gush out. Not all at once. I gushed everytime I had a contraction. My husband didnt believe me until I stood in the bathroom for about 5 minutes or so and the floor was dang near flooded. He freaked out and said LETS GO!!!!!!! lol
    beingamomrocks1

Answer by beingamomrocks1 at 4:51 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• It doesnt sound like your water it sounds like discharge BUT you wont always know if it is your water or else im crazy. My water did not gush is any way at all. I laughed really hard the day my water broke and it trickled down my leg.. I thought i peed a little. Then 20 minutes later it was like 2 sdrips so i ran to the bathroom and there was nothing. Those little drippys as i called them lasted about 12 hours and i kept calling my doc then they had me come in to test it and it was my water. So if it starts out something like that thats when i would think it could be or like everyone else said a gush. Good luck!!!
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 5:27 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• you'll know the difference...it's called "your water" because that's what it's like, water. discharge is usually thicker and has a color to it. your water is clear, odorless and very fluid.
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 6:08 PM on Apr. 25, 2009