Question for Jehovahs Witness or someone who knows about their faith.....They come to my door all the time and this morning an older man came. I recognized the boy with him as one of my neighbors. He was super nice and sweet and I love the family a lot.

So my question is...the literature he leaves with me is called "watchtower"...what does that mean? What is the fundamental belief that they hold? It seems similar to protestant christianity, but their methods of door to door are different. (the local baptist church doesnt do that). Anyway, I am a non denominational christian and know NOTHING about JW and because I know this family to be wonderful, kind and caring, I wondered about what they believe and why they go door to door. I feel like if I ask them, it might seem like I am being critical and thats not at all what I want. I really want to be open minded and respectful of what they believe. So any answers would be great, other than nasty sarcastic remarks. Thats not helpful. I am leaving to run a few errands, so I will check up on this discussion when I get back. Please be nice and please be helpful. I am genuinely interested.

momofsaee

Asked by momofsaee at 3:36 PM on Apr. 25, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• You can go to watchtower.org to find out more information on JW. I don't know that much about the religion, even though I have friends who are JW.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 3:43 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• My mother used to study with JW´s and the general understanding I have is that they differ from other Christians in that they believe certain things in the mainstream Bible have been mistranslated and misinterpreted. Primarily, they do not believe that hell is a real place and that allusions to it in the bible are symbolic or refer to the grave. They believe rather that those who reject God in the end will face total destruction. They also believe that the earth will be destroyed and that most of those who are saved will live in paradise on a new Earth, not in Heaven. Heaven will be reserved for a certain amount of people. Also, the only holiday that they recognize is Easter, b/c Jesus told his disciples at the last supper to "do this in remembrance of me". All other holidays for them are manmade and therefore ungodly. They also do not believe in the trinity. They see Jesus and God as two separate beings. That´s all I know.
    moniquinha

Answer by moniquinha at 4:09 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Also, they go door to door because they believe that they are also disciples of Jesus and must therefore "spread the good news" as Jesus told his apostles to do. Just wanted to add that since you asked about it.
    moniquinha

Answer by moniquinha at 4:11 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• You won't actually find to much info at the Watchtower.org. It's not really for research. But I can try to explain in this little box. I was raised JW. My mother and Gram still are.

I will say this. While I am not JW, nor am I Christian, I hold a great respect for them. If I ever were to convert I couldn't imagine belonging to any Christian religion but JW. They not only read their bible but study and live by it. The hold the belief that the bible is the word of God and therefore should be used as a guide to live life by. They are human, not perfect, but as a hole do try to live by the work of the bible.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:13 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• "watchtower"...what does that mean?
    The term watchtower actually comes from a scripture. At the moment I can't remember which. But both the Watchtower and Awake Magazines are publised by the bi-monthly (if memory serves) and are the most widely publisised bible base magazines in the world.

What is the fundamental belief that they hold?
    They believe that Jesus, the son of God, came to earth and died for them. And that his promise of a paradice earth will come to pass. They hold the belief that God meant for the earth to be perfect and that is shall be someday. After Armigedon as promised in the bible. Only 144,000 are fortold to go to heaven in the bible, so that is what they believe will happen.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:16 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• But, they also overlook the fact the fact that the 144,000 are 12,000 each from the 12 tribes of Judea. A lot of Christians believe this refers to men/women pre-Christ....i.e. Moses, Noah, Abraham, Lot, King David...etc. I had a JW tell me that her hubby was one of the 144,000 and when I asked her if he was Jewish she was stumped.
    So, like any other group, they do some things right and some things wrong.
    Anonymous

• They go door to door because Jesus commanded that you are to Witness. In fact that is where the name comes from. They believe that they are to spread their religion as far as they can in order to save those that are truly wanting from eternal death.

My advice is that you talk with them. They are always happy to chat about their beliefs and you may be surprised how accurate they are. I see it this way, there is no middle ground. You either believe in the Bible and follow it or you don't. I'm pagan. I don't see any truth to the bible beyon a good history lesson. But if you are going to follow Christian religion wouldn't you want it to be one that follows the bible to the letter?

JWs are always open for questions. Also if you see lisarose45 around in the forum - She is JW. Talk to her. She's always very helpful.

And feel free to PM me with any questions.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:23 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• JEHOVAH's WITNESSES HAVE UNIQUE BELIEFS : They believe the "End of This System of Things" is coming SOON. The End will happen when everyone who is not one of them will be killed by Jehovah, wiping the Earth free of taint. The cleansed Earth will be a beautiful place for their religious Study, STUDY, STUDY...

They wiil be educating those brought back from the Dead. Jehovah will control everyone and everything at this Time. UGH !!!

I wouldn't want to live in such a Totalitarian World.

JWs can be fine as long as they are not preaching. As you said, they can be very sweet...

HOW DO I KNOW THIS ? I was one for 25 years. My advice: stick to your own religion, or ideas about spirituality.

My ex-husband is still JW. And, he is STILL waiting for the Time when Jehovah wipes everybody else out. My children couldn't even play with kids who were of another religion.

It was Hell for me to "break free"...
    Anonymous

• I sent lisarose45 a message and asked her to come chat with you... I'm sure she has more answers for you than I could. I've been happily away from Christian religion all together for some time... I'm sure she can help you though.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:37 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• You know what's crazy... Jehovah's witnesses came to my home this morning and left the same thing. Guess I'll have to look into it more.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 4:52 PM on Apr. 25, 2009