Three year old refuses to take medication, need advice!

My 3 year old has a swollen eye after getting a tiny scratch. The doctor felt the swelling and looked at her eye, still Brianna isn't in any pain and there's no bruising or redness in her eye, so they prescribed her an antibiotic and told me to schedule a follow-up in two days. They were slightly worried because of how close to her eye the scratch is and because she was diagnosed with a MRSA infection two years ago. I know she needs to take her medicine, but the first attempt she pit it out into the sink and on the second attempt she choked and gagged for almost 15 minutes. I've tried looking it up online but can't find any info about mixing the med with food or liquid to mask the taste without losing effectiveness. She's on Bactin, or Bactrim I think is the common name. She takes 8ml twice a day, for 7 days. Does anyone have any experience with this?

momof2inCT2007

Asked by momof2inCT2007 at 3:47 PM on Apr. 25, 2009 in Kids' Health

• mis it with a SMALL amount of koolaide powder for taste
    good l uck
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 3:48 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• My oldest has a terrible gag reflex when it come to things likes this...or green beans...but we have been telling him we know he can do it like a big boy because it will make him feel better. We chose before hand what 'treat' he gets after. Like he can chase it with a small amount of Mt. Dew, applesauce, yogurt, a small cookie, fruit snacks, etc. He will down the medicine qucikly and then it is onto his 'treat'.
    MommaM2

Answer by MommaM2 at 3:54 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• most medications are tested with applesauce...i think it would be safe to mix it with applesauce...that is how my children all take their meds and that was recommended to me by a doctor just last week too!
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 3:54 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Mix it in pudding without her seeing u do it or even chocolate milk I am a nurse at a nursing home and we do this with residents that give a hard time at takeing their meds Good luck I have 5 children of my own grant it thay are older 22 to age 10 but I have been through it all
    mom2fivekids579

Answer by mom2fivekids579 at 3:55 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• My mom used to mix my medicine with ice cream.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:01 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Is that the white chalky stuff? If so, have the pharmacy flavor it. The insurance won't cover the flavoring but it's like $2 and comes in tons of flavors. My son hated that medicine. I even tasted it and it's nasty!!!! Mix it in a small amount of applesauce and make sure she eats all of the applesauce (you just need a teaspoon or so of it).

Anytime you have an antibiotic, ask the pharmacist if they can flavor it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:14 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• if mixing it in food doesn't work heres a trick i've figured out with my daughter, its not fun and she hates it, you'll need an extra pair of hands. have someone hold her like a baby, so she can't move arms, and have them tilt her head back. force her mouth open, put a small amount in, not all of it, close her mouth and hold it closed til she swallows, you can rub her neck a little to get her to swallow and that also helps some of it go down on its own w/o her doing it. after shes taken all of it, give her some sprite or something sweet to drink that is a treat. we had to do this with my daughter til just recently and she just turned 3 in dec. now we can do the your a big girl and you have to take this, if you pick a treat now you can have it afterwards approach
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 2:26 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• My husband has never been able to take liquid medication. Starting when he was about 2 and had to be on antibiotics, his mother had the doctor prescribe him pills. He swallows pills with no issue. She tested her theory with a tictac, maybe that would work? To this day he cannot take even cough syrup w/o gagging, thank goodness Robitussin came out w/ cough syrup pills. Good Luck!
    AndrisMom

Answer by AndrisMom at 3:21 PM on Apr. 26, 2009