Why do the bullies STILL laugh at me?

Let me start off by saying I was extremely shy as a kid. I would cry easily, and I got picked on a lot (I had large breasts and I wore thick glasses).

As I got older, I stopped being so shy, and I stopped crying when the bullies would try to make me. Pretty soon, they just left me alone...but they would still snicker as I walked by.

Now that I'm 35 years old, people STILL snicker as I pass by them. I'm not unnattractive-quite the contrary. I've been told that I'm very beautiful by the various men I've dated over the years. So why am I still the target of "bullies"? What is it about me that makes people want to laugh at me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:48 PM on Apr. 25, 2009 in Relationships

• I was bullied in school because I am not tough. I am still bullied and I am 48 yrs. old. I am a nice person and sometimes I want to tell mean people to F off but I am not going to let them bring me to their level. just be the nice person that you are and ignore them and try not to let them get to you. sometimes its hard like in the workplace because miserable, mean people can be jealous of nice people. mean people come in all shapes, sizes and colors. try and find nice peolpe and hang with them. unfortunately there will always be bullies.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 3:59 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Could it be your imagination? I hardly think that just because you walk by people are laughing at you. I mean you are 35, it's time to ignore people and live your life the way you want. Life is not high school. Go out and do what you want.
    Anonymous

• Are you sure you aren't just imagining it?
    Anonymous

• It's the OP:

There will be a group of people talking, and as soon as I get close, they all get quiet and start whispering, or give each other glances. As soon as I past by, they break out into laughter.
    Anonymous

• Maybe you just think people are snickering at you? The only thing that leaps to mind that a wide variety of strangers could possibly see as snicker-material is your walk. It's been my experience that people who have been bullied begin walking differently, shuffling and trying not to draw attention to themselves. So, my only suggestion is, walk like you mean it! Titties up, back straight, with confidence! Have a little tune in your head to walk to (I use Stayin' Alive) Couldn't hurt, right?
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 3:52 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• It's the OP:

I guess I should mention that I'm Black, and I get this mostly from black people...not ALL...it just seems like the bullies tend to be all black...I hope that doesn't sound racist...I don't mean it to, and if I offend anyone I sincerely apologize
    Anonymous

• People can be mean no matter color of skin.
    Anonymous

• y not let us see your pic
    Anonymous

• I'm the same way. I was teased MERCILESSLY until I started standing up for myself. The bullies stopped, but I am still really socially awkward. I think it's probably because you are still not confident about yourself and you're still not comfortable in your skin. Feeling vulnerable makes you vulnerable. People don't laugh at me any more because I walk with my head held high, my shoulders back and confidence in my eyes. People avoid me, but for different reasons (I'm of intimidating height and the confidence comes off as bitchiness when you're as tall as I am :p).
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 3:56 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• You're 35 now, why should you care what other people think of you? We all had bully experiences when we were younger. When you reach a certain age, you need to learn to let go of that and live your life for yourself. I'll tell you, I've never really been super comfortable in my own skin or super confident, BUT, I'll also tell you that I have enough self worth to make sure that what other people think does not run my life.
    lilsmom

Answer by lilsmom at 4:06 PM on Apr. 25, 2009