What do I take with me to the park?

I'll be taking my baby to the park this summer (she'll be 12 months old by then). How should I dress her? Do I make sure she wears pants so she won't scrape her knees? Always wear sneakers?

Also, what kinds of things do I bring with me? Eg sunscreen, ice packs, things like that?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:51 PM on Apr. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would dress her in cool clothing but covering the knees can be good (we had some 3/4 length leggings we used a lot in the summer). If she's walking, you'll want some kind of shoes, but it will depend on how well she's walking... some moms use the soft shoes even outside, we used sneakers or even sandals at around 12 months (our daughter walked around 11 months so she still wasn't a pro when we started at the park, but she was fine). At 12 months the toddler won't be having huge falls, at least hopefully not, because she won't be off running around by herself, sliding by herself, etc. She'll be close to you, being swung in a swing by you, sliding with your help, etc. So I wouldn't worry about ice packs. Sunscreen, sun hat, a cup of water, a small snack, baby wipes, child-safe hand sanitizer (for before the snack, or you can use baby wipes), and if you're really worried about cuts, neosporin.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:58 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• There are alot of resources online to help with your questions.
    Anonymous

• dress he in what you want, bring what you want, its a trip to the park it is supposed to be relaxing not something to stress over
    Anonymous

• Just try to think about what type of park you will be visiting and think about what kind of activities your daughter will be doing. That should help you decide what to pack.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 3:56 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Sunscreen, juice/water/milk something like that to keep hydrated, snacks for both of you. diapers. Dress for the weather, if you think the park has a "scrapable" surface then pants are ok just make sure she doesn't overheat. Also some of the surfaces might be hot from sitting in the sun so keep that in mind before putting her in the swings or on the slides.
    Anonymous

• Seriously, ANON 353, "There are alot of resources online to help with your questions"? Well yeah, duh. That's true for any possible question on here... clearly we're all on here because we want advice from other moms, not just information. And this is an online resource. If you don't have a useful answer to give, don't bother us with your attitude.
    Anonymous

• Also, it depends on when you're going and where you live, but last summer we'd often go to the park around 9am, before the sun was intense and before the "rush" of toddler got there, so the slides would be wet. I always kept a couple of old towels in the trunk of the car for things like this.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 4:02 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Water (get a Sigg or other stainless steel bottle or sippy cup, and bring enough for you, too), a snack box (puffed rice, raisins, other dry cereal). Baby backpack or stroller. Plastic measuring cups and metal spoons to play in the sand or the dirt. Wear clothes that are comfortable. Bring a jacket in case it gets cool. She should weat a hat and long sleeves and pants. Sunscreen with a high SPF and PABA free.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:09 PM on Apr. 25, 2009