Can you tell me where the bible says that pre-marital sex is forbidden?

The details are irrelevant. Just a converstation my husband and I were having and we were wondering.

Jmum

Asked by Jmum at 4:05 PM on Apr. 25, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• i dont think it says that in black and white but it does say i wife should give her husband her body as a gift on there wedding night...no have not read the bible but it might say it some where...why do you ask?
    Anonymous

• I am no expert by any means, but all of the passages I have seen quoted on this issue seem to require that you first believe that premarital sex is immoral, than the passages that say to avoid immoral sex are applied. I have never seen a passage quoted by theologians or preachers that specifically say that sex before marriage is forbidden by God.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 4:13 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• My husband, who has read the Bible, was saying that it didn't. I didn't know, but I said that I bet someone on CM would. We're not arguing or anything, just wondering.

Jmum

Answer by Jmum at 4:14 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Google is your friend:o) i found this....and many more sites by googling 'bible verses about premarital sex'

momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 4:18 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• It says absolutely nothing.

It warns against fornication, immorality and adultery. I believe that people equate not having sex before marrige because of Mary and Joseph's story (Mary getting pregnant even if she wasn't married and Joseph being upset etc). People fail to realise that in the culture of the day, it would have been immoral to have sex outside of marriage. I believe that the Apostle Paul urges us to apply God's teachings to our OWN cultures and times in which we live.

Since the Bible doesn't explicitly say "you must be married" I think a lot of people feel it is safer to wait until you're married or at least in a committed relationship in terms of attempting to follow the Bible/God's will as best as possible. I don't think there's anything wrong with waiting though. I think in many ways waiting until you're 100% legally committed can be safer (should children be a result).
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 4:27 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• the definition of "fornication" is sex between two persons who are not married. The bible says pretty harsh things about fornication..... So I guess just look up everything that the bible says about fornication and come to your own conclustion.

But praise Jesus that we can turn from our ways and that he bore our sins, and all we have to do is beleive and seek him.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 4:38 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Huh. Momjoy, what we got from that is that marriage is for sex... Sweet.
    Jmum

Answer by Jmum at 5:15 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Its called fornication. We just don't call it fornication anymore.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 6:03 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• What is the definition of fornication novemberlove?
    Anonymous

• Fornication is any sex outside of marriage, but in particular it refers to sex between and unmarried man and an unmarried woman. Adultery by definition indicates that at least one of the parties is married. Here are just a few references: Acts 15:20;1 Corinthians 6:13; 1 Corinthians 7:2; 1 Corinthians 10:8; 1 Thessalonians 4:3. And there are a whole bunch of references in the book of Revelation.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 6:36 PM on Apr. 25, 2009