Is anyone on here prescribed Adderall for adult ADD? If so, do you take it and still breastfeed and if so how? Is there a way to time it out so that your baby doesn't get any in the milk? I am breastfeeding about 20% of the time and formula the rest and I take adderral but haven't started it back yet because of the affects on the baby...but I NEED it. What do I do, I still want to breastfeed some.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:12 PM on Apr. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The following information comes from MEDICATIONS AND MOTHERS’ MILK by Thomas Hale, 2008. He assigns every drug a lactation risk category: L1, safest; L2, safer; L3, moderately safe; L4, possible hazardous; and L5, contraindicated.

DEXTROAMPHETAMINE (Adderall, Dexedrine, Amphetamine, Oxydess, Vyvanse)
    Listed as L3, moderately safe if in clinical doses, L5, contraindicated if abused; AAP: Drugs of Abuse for which adverse side effects have been reported; Pediatric Concerns: possible insomnia, irritability, anorexia, reduced weight gain, or poor sleeping patterns in infants. However, in these studies, none of the infants were affected.

Adult dose: 5-60 mg/day

The medications will be in their highest concentrations in the blood and breastmilk at 1-2 hours after taking. The half life is 6-8 hours, which means that most of the drug will be out of your system in about 12-16 hours.
    Suggested alternatives: Methylphenidate
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:55 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• http://www.pdrhealth.com/drugs/rx/rx-mono.aspx?contentFileName=Add1008.html&contentName=Adderall&contentId=16

You either take it and don't breastfeed, or don't take it and breastfeed.

It is NOT safe to take while bfing.
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 5:42 PM on Apr. 25, 2009