Have you tried the "Your Baby Can Read" videos?

Hubs has seen the informercial twince and wants to buy it. I am, skeptical to say the least. I was wondering if anyone here has used it and what they thought about it.

unsuspected

Asked by unsuspected at 4:14 PM on Apr. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• The under two set should not watch any television. Read to your baby, play with your baby, enjoy your baby.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:17 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I have never understood the desire to push your babies into growing up so fast! Why in the world do babies need to learn to read before they can even speak? Studies show that even if you teach your kids to "read" at an early age, they don't have the ability to comprehend the meaning of the words they are "reading", so they are really just memorizing letters and sounds. Also, they eventually even out with all the other children which means they are no more ahead in the long run than they would have been to just learn to read at the appropriate age. Let babies be babies, they grow up fast enough as it is...

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 4:43 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• This is asked at least once a week. Take a look for previous answers.
    Basically: at best, it's a waste of money. At worst, it will harm your child's future progess in school. Do NOT buy it.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:44 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• ("I have never understood the desire to push your babies into growing up so fast! Why in the world do babies need to learn to read before they can even speak? Studies show that even if you teach your kids to "read" at an early age, they don't have the ability to comprehend the meaning of the words they are "reading", so they are really just memorizing letters and sounds. Also, they eventually even out with all the other children which means they are no more ahead in the long run than they would have been to just learn to read at the appropriate age. Let babies be babies, they grow up fast enough as it is..." )- totally agree! i thought i was not being a better mommy by not pushing my kids to do more and i used to feel stressed but now, i just let them be....and we take one baby step at a time...
    Anonymous

• I saw the commercials and wanted to try it... we didn't have the money to buy it though and didn't want to spend the money either way incase it didn't work for our child, so we ordered them for $14, copied them, and then returned them for a refunded $14 dollars before our larger payment was due.... Our daughter is 9 months old and has been watching them for several months now, but I don't play them for her as often as it says to, so I haven't noticed that she has learned anything as of yet. But we'll see...
    and just a warning... If you let your kids watch too much TV and read too much when they are really young it can damage their eyes. I know from personal experience. I learned to read at 3 and read all day long. We didn't find out until I was 10 that it is very likely what damaged my eyes. I have horrible vision and need bifocals now at 19...
    Anyways, if you choose to get it good luck! =]
    Anonymous

• Hey! New record from what I've seen! Third time this week I've seen this asked.

It's not worth it, it doesn't teach reading it teaches memorization, they'll have trouble in school because they don't learn phonics...um...that's the basic stuff.

As for watching TV and reading ruining their eyes. Um...no. Not true and we've spoken to a pediatric eye surgeon.
    Anonymous

• So, in otherwards, Anon 6:38, you stole them! Nice... you'll be a great example to your kids...
    Anonymous

• my dad got the set for my son at christmas. he will be 2 next week and we can show him some words and he does it.(wave, nose, mouth, etc) the set comes with cool flap books and sliding cards and the dvds are fun because it shows the word, how to say it and kids doing it. it lets the child put the whole picture together so they do understand what they are reading. my son doesn't talk much yet but when he does these dvd's and books will help more. and it does teach fonics. they see words with the same beginings or endings so when they read other words they will know what sounds those letters make. anyways we like it!! hope it helped
    charliesmom777

Answer by charliesmom777 at 8:35 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• What a waste of money. If you read, play, educate, and just conversate with your toddler and interact with a baby then they will be just as intelligent. I don't see the need to put a child in front of a television for so in long in order for their parents to be able to say "hey, my kid reads." They don't even understand what they are reading most likely. I have a 2 year old, and I read to her, play, teach her new words through books, play time, etc. and she has great language skills, very alert, and smart for her age. Don't waster your money. Just invest time into your child and the results will show.
    MandyT1021

Answer by MandyT1021 at 9:52 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I bought flash cards at wal wart with pictures and words I tell my son what the picture is and what letter it starts with. been doing it for about two weeks and he knows up to 'D' I don't think setting a kid in front of a tv is going to teach them at least not when they are young. Maybe a 4 or 5 year old it would be different for. I also like the smart ville alphabet train he repeats after it.
    ladyluck09

Answer by ladyluck09 at 12:34 AM on Apr. 26, 2009