solids or cereal?

My DS is 3 1/2 months. The dr said we'll start him on food when he's 5 months. Does she mean baby cereal or baby food? If cereal then when do you start the baby food? Solids are around a year?? its all confusing!

sassy_brizzy

Asked by sassy_brizzy at 4:17 PM on Apr. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I started my baby on cereal at three months and around 5-6 months we started baby food. At around 7-8 months we started table food. I know it is very confusing, I stressed about it alot. Your baby will show you what he wants, if he is staring down your food hes probably ready for some cereal. My son eventually lost intrest in the cereal so I started baby food, then he lost intrest in that so we went to soft table foods. Good luck momma!
    Fairy_Wings

Answer by Fairy_Wings at 4:31 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Most doctors recommend starting with cereal... usually between 4-6 months (and more and more on the later end of this), but it isn't necessary to start with cereal. It doesn't actually have that much nutritional value. I guess some docs think because you can water it down and mix it with formula or breastmilk, it's familiar to babies. My girls started on cereal, but my second daughter was really constipated (common effect of cereal) so we cut it out until we were giving her more good fiber sources. So we switched to sweet potatoes and she did fine.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 5:00 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• i started my dd on cereal at 2 1/2 mos and solids at 4 mos (her doc said to) i did yellow veggies then orange then green and then moved to fruit! She did get a touch constipated at the beginning of the cereal but a little brown sugar water fixed that right up!
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 5:18 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Heres great solids/cereal info from Dr.Sears...
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/3/T032000.asp
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 6:19 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Personally, I started all my kids on bananas first at about 6 months. I'm not real big on the whole cereal thing. The reason for bananas is because it tasted similar to breast milk (sweet) and didn't cause the constipation problems I had seen with other babies.
    The most important thing to remember is, it doesn't really matter what you start them on just as long as you give them about a week with the new food before adding something new to their diet.
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 8:35 AM on Apr. 26, 2009