What is the process like, to come here legally as an immigrant?

I teach in an area that has primarily Hispanic families. Every year we have parents that tell us (the teachers) about how a spouse was picked up and sent home, or is in jail because of their illegal status. It is very sad to me. I could not imagine my own family being torn apart. What is the proper process like to come to the USA legally and correctly? Is it something that is hard to do, or is it more intimidating? I don't advocate coming here in any way, but a legal one, but I don't know how this process typically works. Does anyone know?

Teachermom01

Asked by Teachermom01 at 4:30 PM on Apr. 25, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• It's not that hard. Apply for visa / get a work permit and then apply for legal residence. Pay your fees, go to your immigration meetings/interviews.

My family did it and it wasn't hard. What I think is hard is the citizenship test. I think it should be required for all high school students to take it before they graduate. I just don't understand why illegals don't wait until they've saved the money to do it the legal way.
    JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 4:35 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Apply for visa / get a work permit and then apply for legal residence. Pay your fees, go to your immigration meetings/interviews.
    ___________________________
    The problem that most illegals have is that they can't get a visa, isn't that true? Many countries have lotteries to get a visa, if you don't get one you don't get one. Also, people in poverty who come to try and make money don't have any money to do the applications, etc. That's the real issue, isn't it?
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 5:27 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• it isnt hard no . my friend paul came from new zealand and he said it was just very intimidating.
    he came here poor as well and didnt try to hide and be here illegally , now he works for mccaren airport .
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 5:41 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• My brother married a girl from the Philliphines and it was a pretty involved process. They hired one lawyer who just took their money and didn't do a thing. I really don't know what was involved, but it cost them quite a bit in legal fees and other fees. It also took a very long time.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 6:22 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• The problem that most illegals have is that they can't get a visa, isn't that true? Many countries have lotteries to get a visa, if you don't get one you don't get one. Also, people in poverty who come to try and make money don't have any money to do the applications, etc. That's the real issue, isn't it?

_______

I only know about how Canada and Panama work. There are lotteries and I'm sorry, but if your number isn't called then you can't come. We can't keep supporting the zillions of immigrants who come here illegally. There's a lottery for a reason. I just really feel that you need to earn the money for the visa and THEN try to get a visa/get a visa. I have no problem at all with who lives here as long as they go through the proper channels.

JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 6:52 PM on Apr. 25, 2009