Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HOw about a daily Grandma is very hard to find a common place of understanding when you are dealing with parents that are not able to really care of their kids and then the state steps in.....and because we the grandparents are in a different state we are not eligible to care for the children.....what ca we do....who can we turn to to help us bring these precious angels to our home for love and peace of mind.

7 month old and 2 year old.....placed in foster care because of the parents inability to function as adults.....and because we (the grandparents) are in florida and the babies are in Maine.....Maine DHHS is stating that we cannot be guardians for our granddaughters.

Answer Question

Asked by lucylousnanny at 5:02 PM on Apr. 25, 2009 in Relationships

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • I don't know, but you are in my thoughts and prayers. I am lucky to be 5 minutes from mine. There are times I am needed, I am here. If I could help it, I would want it no other way.

    Answer by m-avi at 5:04 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

  • That is horrible, I am so sorry you guys are all going through this, my only suggestion is to maybe find out if you can get temporary guardianship of the children, my mom has guardianship of my daughter because well its a VERY long story, but it was easy for her to obtain and she only has to renew it once a year, if the state of Maine is willingly and the girls parents are too I would say thats your best bet, either way GL and my prays are with those poor little girls

    Answer by hautemama83 at 5:12 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

  • that is bs. Contact an attorney or have the parents sign over custody to you and then go get the kids.

    Answer by admckenzie at 6:09 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

  • call for a free consult with a lawyer
    you should be able to file for custody

    Answer by mommymeg03 at 6:13 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

  • To me, it seems the best interest of the children should determine where they go. And that would be with family who know and love them instead of strangers. I'm with ad, call a lawyer and get help.

    Answer by Austinsmom35 at 6:17 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.