What kinds of food should my baby have...?

I'm very confused...
My son is now 10 months old, soon to be 11. He was born a preemie, so from that point on, our pedi has started him off late with foods.
He has hit bottom two teeth, and one upper too.
He's not able to do finger foods, but he uses his jaw to mash food now.
So...what kind of foods should I be giving him now? Any suggestions? Handy recipes?
He had lost interest with cereal months ago, and he's starting to get a little bored with baby food.
I don't want him choking on anything, but nor do I want him on puree foods just for that fear.

K_Sawyer

Asked by K_Sawyer at 5:07 PM on Apr. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son, who was a preemie as well, has been completely on table food since about 9 months... he lost interest in pureed foods and the "chunky" stage 3 baby foods don't taste the same to him. He loves chicken & stars soup, and I give him a little of whatever the grown-ups are eating, just cut up into tiny bites. And don't forget, your son won't figure out how to eat finger food unless he practices... let him make a mess!
    oh__you

Answer by oh__you at 6:43 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I'm not sure what kind of answer you're looking for....you said he can't do finger foods, but you don't want him on pureed food?
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 5:40 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• You can start him on table food, Just go with soft foods for now and then move on to the other things. My DS is 8.5 months old and even with only one tooth, he can eat table food (he even eats chicken). Gagging (not choking) is all part of the learning process for eating food, it helps them learn how to move it around in their mouth.
    mag12305cmg

Answer by mag12305cmg at 5:40 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• One other thing about him not doing finger foods..the only way he will learn how to eat them is if you give him the chance to do it...otherwise there is no way for him to learn. I bet that if you put it infront of him....he will soon get the understanding to grab for it.
    mag12305cmg

Answer by mag12305cmg at 5:42 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• have you tried Gerber puffs to help encourage chewing. They work great. and are great for snacks
    As for foods he can have..
    try some scrambled eggs. Just make sure they are well done. I add a little cheese and some spinach to my DD's and she loves them (sometimes I replace spinach with ham, but if he's not chewing well, that's not a good idea).
    You can also try cheerios watered down (so they are soft) all these are great breakfast ideas.

for lunches you can cut up bananas and other chewy fruits for him.

for dinners... there is mashed potatoes, peas, well cooked carrots, stuffing, and things like that. They are all foods he can mush up easily.

You can also try getting a mesh ring. You'll find ideas as you go along.

xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 6:55 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• If you dont want jar food, and you dont want finger food, I dont know what else there is... lol. You may be surprised on how quickly he picks up finger foods. try gerber puffs (or wal mart brand) to get started... they dissolve super fast and should help him learn without giving him anything too big/tough... I would then try with mashed banana with some chunks. I started my daughter with sliced turkey today. She did very well with it. Its shocking to me how quick they catch on to stuff like that... I rip up pieces of eggo mini-waffles for her sometimes for breakfast... Those seem to be pretty easy for her to chew (shes almost one but has only two teeth)... Steamed vegetables are always good and you can steam them a little longer and mash them, and later cut them up for him to pick up... Good luck! :)
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 7:19 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Super Baby Food is the best book on baby nutrition: www.superbabyfood.com. Remember that doctors are not nutritionists.
    For baby's first year nutrition comes from breastmilk or formula; solids are really just for the experience of eating them.
    Before baby turns one, it is best to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This list is not complete, but includes wheat, soy, dairy, egg white, strawberries, citrus.
    You can give your baby mashed or cubed cooked sweet potato; avocado, egg yolk, mashed beans (home cooked are best; if you used canned, rinse them well because they have lots of salt), cooked fruits like apple, pear; cooked and pureed zucchini, etc.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:04 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Babies are not supposed to have egg whites until after they are a year old, due to possible allergies to proteins in the whites...

So scrambled eggs is not the best idea for a baby....unless you just do the yolks....

I agree with pps.....start him with gerber puffs, baby mum mums, to give him practice eating finger foods....both of these things dissolve so they are not a choking hazard..

After he gets the hang of those things, offer soft table food- soft versions of whatever you are eating...

Good Luck!
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 11:46 PM on Apr. 25, 2009