toddler fears!

My fearless daughter is becoming fearful!!! She will turn 2 at the end of May. She's such a smart, independent girl... she's always been great at night, and we haven't had to go in after lights out (except with the occasional illness) since about 6 months... Now she's so scared of things. The train she can hear occasionally through her window, the wind rustling her curtain, shadows (none of these things are new). We're having to go back in to her once or twice before she falls asleep, because she sounds so sincerely petrified. What are people's experiences with these? When do they usually subside? Does anything help (besides talking through them, etc) ?

EmilySusan

Asked by EmilySusan at 5:22 PM on Apr. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think a lot of kids around her age 2-3 start having night terrors. My son went thru the same thing when he was about 2 or 2-1/2. He would wake up ( he had been sleeping good there for awhile) and I would go in and he would be absolutely terrified. I think their imaginations start to take hold really good at that age and every sound and shadow is something bad. He did get over it but it lasted quite awhile, 6 months I think. But maybe she'll get over it quicker. Just keep doing what you're doing. :)
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 5:40 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• My son told me out of nowhere that there were monsters outside our bedroom window. Now he is scared to sleep in his own bed. Shadows and even the tv playing downstairs scares him. I think its just a stage that toddlers go through. I'm hoping it ends soon. I feel bad for my son. I dont want him to be scared!
    beingamomrocks1

Answer by beingamomrocks1 at 7:17 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• We had this happen with my son when he turned two, every morning we would find him next to us in bed. couldn't figure out what was wrong because he had always been good. One night we just decided to try an turn his night light off, and haven't had problems since. guessing it was shadows causing the issues. so now it is all lights off once he falls asleep. we leave the light on till we see he is good and asleep.
    ladyluck09

Answer by ladyluck09 at 12:28 AM on Apr. 26, 2009