Baby may have eaten an earring!!

First of all, our house is spotless. The floor is always vaccuumed and we leave NOTHING out for our 9 month old crawler-stander to get into. It just so happens that for the past few days we are moving and an earring that i havent seen in god knows how long appeared on the floor. As i am doing dishes to get them packed and daddy is away cleaning out the van, our little girl is being strangely quiet. I stop the dishes and walk into the livingroom. She looks up at me and is clearly chewing something. I look in her mouth but theres nothing there. I tickle her to get her to open her mouth and i spot something. Digging my finger around i find an earring! It had the back on it too. I am worried that it might have had its pair with it and she may have eaten it! She doesnt appear to be discomforted.. Should i take her to the emergency room? Would you take her to the emergency room?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:25 PM on Apr. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Depends how big the earing was...................... I would not tell you what to do in this case but if it were mine and she seemed fine - I would just keep checking the POOP - HA!HA!

Good Luck
    bristle3kids

Answer by bristle3kids at 5:28 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• call your dr and fill them in on what happened and see what they want you to do. sry but thats the best advice i can give you
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 5:27 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Yep - call your doctor. Depending on size and how sharp / pointy it is, they might want to see her to make sure she didn't eat it.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:34 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I don't understand questions such as this. If I thought there may possibly be an emergency with my child, jumping on the computer wouldn't enter my mind, I would be on the phone with my child's doctor.
    LoriW

Answer by LoriW at 6:48 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• LoriW, at the time of the possble emergency, the peditricians office was closed. As i was waiting on hold for THIRTY MINUTES i decided to ask here incase someone could give me an answer while i was waiting. No need to treat others as if they are stupid when you dont even have all of the information.

To everyone else: Thank you so much for you responses. A doctor told me to watch her poops and see if anything comes out. He also said that if she seems to have an upset stomach or is cranky then to take her in. She still seems fine but i have still scheduled an appointment with the peditrician just to make sure.
    Anonymous

• I never insinuated that you are stupid, nor did I say I knew it all, I just answered based on the information you gave. I was not talking to only you, I stated “questions such as this.” You didn’t mentioned anything about calling the doctor, you asked if you should take her to the hospital. When you post a question, you’re asking for opinion, I merely posted my opinion which I have every right to do. If you didn’t like my opinion, simply go to the next poster. Again, I am not saying I know it all, I am going by the information you gave; which is, “an earring that i havent seen in god knows how long appeared on the floor.” Then you went into the living room and it was in her mouth.
    LoriW

Answer by LoriW at 7:51 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• This indicates that you saw the earring on the floor before it was in your daughter’s mouth. Now remember, I am only going by the information you gave. For me to think I know more than that would be stupid. I am ONLY speaking for MYSELF, I have never allowed my “crawler-stander” in a room with no supervision. Now keep in mind, this is my opinion, which is what anyone who posts a question is asking for. Obviously none of us knows for certain whether or not your child required a trip to the hospital, we are stating our opinion. You are the only one who can monitor her and decide if she requires a hospital visit.

LoriW

Answer by LoriW at 7:52 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Oh for christs sake. If i had seen it on the floor, do you honestly think i would have just left it there? She cant reach the counter and we're moving so theres no tables in the house that she could have reached. Obviously she had to have gotten it off of the floor.
    So what do you do? You keep the baby strapped into a carseat or highchair while you do the dishes and clean the bathroom? Im pregnant and always exhausted, it takes me an hour and a half to do those simple tasks and a baby shouldnt be left in a seat for that long.

I do appreciate your being honest and answering my question. Thank you for that.
    Anonymous