Do you feel the US is heading toward becoming a Nanny State?

Do you see the government making decisions for citizens, because it appears too many individual Americans can't be trusted to make them on their own? Or else they choose not to because the cost of those decisions and the expect the government to step in?

Define Liberties? Do you feel the federal government is more and more the emerging threat to American Liberties?

If you don't feel this way, today- DID you feel this way the last 8 years? What changed?

myame

Asked by myame at 5:39 PM on Apr. 25, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Some citizens are too dumb to make decisions for themselves.

Fortunately, God loves them the same as he loves anyone.

The REALLY DUMB ONES cannot listen to reason because they haven't noticed how dumb they are.

There are bird's nests in their hair and they believe they are uber trendy.

It is expensive, but unfortunately, they are allowed to vote.

Yeah, Socialism.

DO NOT call me a Lib.

I have feelings and they CAN  be hurt!

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 5:50 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• " Liberties' are something people are unable to take advantage of if they are hungry, destitute , homeless, unemployed, suffering illnesses they can't afford to have treated and elderly wth insufficient income to sustain themselves. If the government expresses the common good of helping those who cannot help themselves I cannot see how it is a threat to anyone's liberty and freedom.. The phrase 'nanny state' is just another put-down phrase used by conservatives to condemn any policies expressing social rsponsibility.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 5:52 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Social responsibility?

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 5:57 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Uh Janet I think you went overboard there.Conservatives typically do not have a problem with assistence for those groups you speak of at all.

Yes OP we are for sure without a doubt headed for huge government nanny state USSA
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 6:00 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Although OP I cannot see there will be any "united" America because of that any time soon.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 6:01 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Nanny state?? I think the government is trying to become mom and dad.
    Anonymous

• I am always talking to people who have all sorts of political backgrounds. It floors me how many people are willing to just let the govt take care of their lives for them. I don't think that is the American way. It's called Socialism and I hate it. These are not just "poor" people either. I know lots of middle class people who would be perfectly happy to have the govt run their lives, I am not one of them.
    Yes I think we are losing our liberties bit by bit, once in a while something comes up on the news that shows we have a few less liberities. They are not big things but all the little things are now adding up.
    I do think as a society we need to feed and help people until they can get a job and get back on their feet. But I don't think welfare should be a long term solution. And I think we need to find more solutions to take care of the elderly and chronicaly ill.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 6:02 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Let's also talk about how fully CAPABLE individuals have (or should it used to be of great value to all americans) a responsibility to themselves and society as a whole to take care of themselves.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 6:03 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Your statement is not factual, OP. That's your interpretation of government regulating businesses (I think, anyway) such as the credit card companies to have rules that they must abide by. I want to point out that this mess wouldn't be anywhere near as big if the banks wouldn't have created a whole new way of accounting, trading, loans etc, which had the effect of artificially inflating the value of everything from stocks to your house. Now, we have already seen what happens when the banks are left to themselves. It looks as though they will need to be more accountable to the people that own them, which is us,and start following basic rules like "don't commit fraud."
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 6:11 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• It's good you have crawled under the rock you from the past 8+ years..Welcome back to the world.
    Anonymous