Is it normal to feel some anxiety after having a baby?

Is this from the extreme lack of sleep that I feel anxious, did anyone else experience this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:06 PM on Apr. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes its perfectly normal. You need to find time to sleep and have you time. Relax in the tub or take a nap or even leave the baby with someone or have someone stay with you just so you can sleep. If your feelings as though you may hurt yourself or child then you need to seek help but yes its normal to have anxiety when you have a new one.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 6:08 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• yes very normal. lack of sleep, being a new parent, a helpless needy newborn...all these things are factors of anxiety! it is hard to "sleep when the baby sleeps", at least it was for me. but even just relaxing on the couch, reading a book, taking a bath or nice long shower can make a difference!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 6:13 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• i felt sooooo scared and freaked out. not only do u not get any sleep, but you're so freaked out because you have to take care of the baby and make decisions for his wellbeing. its a very scary thing. but remember it will pass. just listen to ur intuition, and get any little nap u can!
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 6:46 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Yes, it is very normal like everyone else has said because of the new baby, sleep, etc. If you feel too overwhelmed or it's really affecting your everyday life you should talk to your doctor for further help.
    MandyT1021

Answer by MandyT1021 at 7:08 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Of course it's normal. I was terrified to be alone with my newborn; after my husband went back to work I insisted that my dad pick us up and drive us to my parents house every day for at least a week.
    I remember when my daughter was about 5 weeks old and in her first week of colic, I was walking around our apartment holding her; she fell asleep in my arms. I was on my way to the bassinet to put her down, I was so exhausted that didn't notice that a closet door was partially opened, and whacked her little head on the door. She screamed and cried and was back asleep in five minutes or so; I cried for at least a half hour.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:45 PM on Apr. 25, 2009