Do you know anything about Dogwood Trees?

Okay so we bought a brand new house and it has nothing in the yard. lol. I want to plant a tree & my husband is going to buy one tomorrow. i am thinking about a pink dogwood. what are the pros/cons of these trees and how do i know what tree is good when you buy them? all of the ones at lowes are small.

thanks.

MrsThompson1023

Asked by MrsThompson1023 at 6:07 PM on Apr. 25, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Dogwoods should be planted in February in zones 7 and above. If you live in those zones wait till next year or your tree will die. If you live in zone 6 or above you may be able to get away with it now, but planting in the fall will be better. Those trees need to be in the shade of another tree like a huge Oak rather than out in the open. If your yard is bare, I would the tree in the Northeast corner of the lot to keep it out of the sun as much as possible.
    Anonymous

• Checking your profile, I see you are in KY. You might want to wait until fall when the cooler weather will give it a better start on the root growth. If you plant it now, and you have a hot dry summer, the roots won't sustain it and it will die. It's worth the wait and good luck!
    BTW, there is also a new Red Dogwood out now and it is a just awesome awesome tree.
    Anonymous

• Sorry, I meant zone 6 and below.
    Anonymous

• One more and I'll shut up, don't fertilize the tree the first year, just water water water.
    Anonymous