Losing Family Member

My dad and my son are extreamly close, we just found out that my dad has a anyersym in his stomach and a hernia in his groin and due to the fact he is in the later stages of COPD they will not operate and just said we have to just spend his last day with him and make him happy and omfortable. My son is 12 and know poppy is sick but I am unsure how to help him cope with everything that will be happening now.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:13 PM on Apr. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

• let him know that poppy doesnt have much longer and let him spend quality time with him. explain to him that the doctors cant do anything else and God needs another angel in heaven so he picked a good one like poppy. Its better that you tell him everything now so there wont be any confusement when he goes on. It will be hard but I think he will do better if he is prepared GOOD LUCK and sorry you are goin through this
    heavenlypeace

Answer by heavenlypeace at 8:07 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• My children were 11 and 9 when there Papa died my son was broken hearted he knew he was leaving so did the 9 yo. They just have to go through it and hug him a lot. We visited Granny often too.
    Vivian63

Answer by Vivian63 at 6:18 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• my kids were 16 months, 10 and 13 when my mom passed away suddenly. It's hard for everyone involved. However I do think helpig plan her funeral and actually going to it help my older kids deal with her passing. I really wished mom got to know my youngest better..she'd get such a kick out of her. No advice really but I wish you all the best.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 9:45 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I am sorry but telling them God needs another angel is in itself confusing. For one its not true, and then the child is already going to be mad at God for not letting them stay with him here on earth when he feels that he needs his Poppy more than God. Dont forget you either losing your father is devastating at any age under any circumstances. You will need your son as well as he needs you. When my daughter was only 13 we all knew Granny was going to die. She would walk right to her hospital bed in her room and just talk to her like there was nothing wrong. Not that she was in denial she just wanted to make her Granny smile like she always could.

Vivian63

Answer by Vivian63 at 10:31 AM on Apr. 26, 2009