How do I fix my dress?

I have this (fairly new) sundress that I bought for spring/summer and I absolutely love it. But today the pocket got caught on the edge of the stove handle & as I kept walking, my dress ripped! There's about a 2 inch tear right beside the pocket. (The pocket itself did not rip.) I own a sewing machine & I can sew by hand...but not all that well. I don't know how to sew it to fix it & actually make it not look like crap. Should I take it to an alteration place or something like that? I really don't want to just throw it out b/c I like it so much. If I can find the same dress, I could just buy another one. So how to I fix the tear in my dress?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:13 PM on Apr. 25, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• If its not too bad, maybe you can find an iron on patch for underneath, not something that would show thru, but something that would bring the material together undetectable.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 2:29 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• it's hard to explain over the internet with out me seeing it, do you know anyone that can sew? good luck
    WhatevaItTakes

Answer by WhatevaItTakes at 6:16 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• you could tightly stich the edges together, but that usually doesn;t last long is you are good at hand sewing. The patch is a good idea. or if you know how to make darts, making a smal one might be you simplest answer.
    EarthMama05

Answer by EarthMama05 at 3:05 PM on Apr. 27, 2009