Did anyone elses one year old have a horrible reaction to Soy MILK, not formula?

My daughter is 13 months old, we tried her on whole milk, that was a nightmare, she woke up ever 20 minutes with gas pains. So we tried Soy formula and that seemed to be okay. NEXT (as in Now) we tried Soy MILK and she is having diarreah, a HORRIBLE DIAPER RASH...etc. Not Good. I know that babies who are one or older can have orange juice/calcium suppliments. But are there any other suggestions on what to do? I am running out of options here, and I want her to have some 'kind' of milk. I don't think that giving her OJ everyday would be right (too acidic) Any suggestions would TREMENDOUSLY HELP OUT! THANK YOU!

Kimbobernoberly

Asked by Kimbobernoberly at 6:48 PM on Apr. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Try Rice milk...you'll need to add other healthy fats to her diet like avacado or olive il because rice milk is low fat but so is soy milk. Make sure the Rice milk is fortified...my son couldn't handle cows milk til 19 months and only 2% milk not whole
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 7:13 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• If she does okay with other dairy products, don't stress too much about it. She can get her nutrients from other sources. Milk in and of itself isn't a necessity. Definitely speak to the pediatrician about it, though!!!!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:40 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Children don't need to drink milk at all! They need to drink water. If you are concerned that your child will not get enough calcium, you can get more information here: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/strong_bones.html

Actually, milk is not quite as wholesome as the dairy industry would lead you to believe:
    www.notmilk.com/lawbreakers.html

The world's best book on feeding babies is Super Baby Food: www.superbabyfood.com; you should be able to find it at your local library

Answer by rkoloms at 8:13 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• My son had the same problem and then I discovered that children with a sensitivity to milk also tend to have a sensitivity to soy. I switched my son to fortified rice milk, limited all dairy until he was about 2, and then slowly reintroduced dairy - he's almost 4 now and can handle most dairy (prefers cheese and yogurt) and still prefers rice milk over any other kind, but if he gets a large dose of milk, he'll have stomach pains and poop issues for a while. There are alternatives to cows milk, so talk with your pediatrician, but it's not uncommon to have sensitivities to both milk and soy.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 9:53 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Was she formula fed or breastfed? If you're still breastfeeding your child doesn't need any type of milk.

Look into hemp milk, it contains a lot of good stuff and children that are prone to allergies tolerate it well. Or you can try milk that has been treated with enzymes to reduce the lactose ("low lactose" or "lactose free" milk)

Broccoli actually contains more calcium than cow's milk. So if you can work broccoli into your LO's diet, you're golden. :) Try broccoli-egg fritters- my son LOVES fritters of all sorts. Or quiche.

Can your daughter tolerate cheese? Try offering a few different types. Fresh mozzarella, Parmesan.. Or what about yogurt? Whole milk cow's yogurt or goat's yogurt is great. In fact, you can try goat's milk too. Many children that are allergic to soy and cow's milk do fine on goat's milk.
    Gruntlings

Answer by Gruntlings at 10:24 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• My nephew may have won't really know if it was the soy milk now because they have figured out he is SPD child. my son drank soy milk up till he was 2.
    ladyluck09

Answer by ladyluck09 at 11:03 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I kept my dd on stage 2 formula until around 16 months but you can continue until age 2. I'm lactose sentive so when we transitioned my dd, we did it in gradual amounts. One ounce replacement at a time until we built up to about 3/4 milk to formula and then just did a complete switch. Strangely enough I've had the same response from Soy milk, both the chocolate and the vanilla. But I haven't had that response with the Silk brand Very Vanilla Kids fortified one. I do think it has something to do with the amount of milk consumed until the body gets used to it.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 12:00 PM on Apr. 27, 2009