Around what age do babies start crawling?

My son is 4 months and can roll around front to back and back to front. He can hold himself up on his hands when he's on his tummy and hold his head up. Is crawling not far off? I know that babies sit up around 6 months... When did yours start crawling?

Butterflysky_24

Asked by Butterflysky_24 at 7:07 PM on Apr. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter did the same at that age, but didn't start crawling til 9 mos... The range varies tremendously, could be now, could be 10 mos or so... Dont rush it, it gets a lot harder to keep up once they can crawl :).
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 7:09 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• My son started trying to crawl at 7 months. He rocked back and forth on his hands and knees. I think almost 8 months is when he started crawling.
    beingamomrocks1

Answer by beingamomrocks1 at 7:12 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• My oldest didn't crawl until he was 10 months, started walking at 11. But the little boy that I watch is a little over 5 mos, and he is army crawling everywhere! And I have a 5mos, who has been able to army crawl since he was 4 mos. Both of the babies can sit up WELL, and look for toys that they drop. It really just depends on the baby, but between 6 and 10 months seems to be the norm.
    clovismommy25

Answer by clovismommy25 at 7:13 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• My son rocked on his hands and knees from about 4 1/2 to 5 months until 7 months when he started crawling. Now I wish I had another 6 months without him crawling....he's into EVERYTHING! =)
    Anonymous

• Be careful here. Crawling is not a milestone and many babies don't every crawl. I do have a great photo of my daughter crawling on the floor with a dog toy in her mouth. She was chewing on anything, and our doctor suggested this.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:29 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• She could be not far off, but then again she could never crawl at all lol... it just depends on the baby. If she ends up crawling it could be as soon as within the next few weeks. my son started crawling at five months or so and was completely cruisin' at about 6 and a half months. standing at eight and walking before ten. good luck!!!
    oh, and to help my son crawl, we got that whinie the pooh crawling toy. its SO cute and it REALLY does help them!!!
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 7:39 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• oh yeah, and btw, i would REALLY encourage sitting up, if you and baby are ready for it!! my son was sitting alone by five months and going from crawling/laying to sitting by seven months at the latest!!!
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 7:41 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• he will start when he is ready to. My dd crawled at 5 months and sat up around 7 months. it all depends on if they feel comfy, dont push it!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 8:15 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• My DD who is now 9 months and starting to walk, started trying to crawl at about 3 1/2 months and was full on crawling by 5. Sitting on her own at 4. And pulling up on things at 6. My older brother walked at 5 1/2 months and I don't think he ever crawled. Although I have heard that it is bad for them if they walk before they crawl... not sure why though. Anyways like the ladies before me said it all just depends on the baby. But I would guess that if he's holding himself up on his hands like that with his head up looking around, it wont be long before he figures out how to get to those things he's looking at lol... at once he does you will just want him to slow down! =]
    Anonymous

• 4 to 10 months.
    By 10 months most babies can crawl with their tumm off the ground. But remember, not all babies crawl. And yes, if he can get up on his hands and knees, crawling is not far off.

http://www.babycenter.com/0_milestone-chart-1-to-6-months_1496585.bc
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:48 PM on Apr. 25, 2009