• In the Spotlight:

Are there any concerns I should have about working in one state while living in another?

I'm moving near the border of two states and don't know what the future holds. Any insights would be appreciated.

LsMamaL

Asked by LsMamaL at 7:48 PM on Apr. 25, 2009 in Money & Work

• Exactly, the taxes. I didn't get crap back this year...
    jmpeskie

Answer by jmpeskie at 7:53 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• state taxes could be an issue, depending on what states, some states will require you to pay state taxes because you live there and the state you work in could also require some sort of state tax payment. It might be cheaper to shop in one state versus the other because of sales tax (we used to live outside of Memphis, TN and it was cheaper by 4% to drive 10 miles down to Mississippi as sales tax in TN was nearly 10%)
    finallyamom40

Answer by finallyamom40 at 7:54 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Actually it depends. I work in one state and live in another. The states have an agreement so that every thing I pay to the state I work in gets deducted from what I owe to the state I live in. So I get a huge state refund....$1000+ every year. Check with an attorney in the state where you live.
    Anonymous

• I will be living in either WA or ID, and could be working in either state.
    Thanks.
    LsMamaL

Answer by LsMamaL at 8:28 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• We live in one state and my husband works in another. They take out his taxes for his state of residency and not the state of employment. No problem.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:17 AM on Apr. 26, 2009