Candy for your nine month old?

My DH recently bought me a giant jawbreaker remembering that I used to really like them back in my tween days. My daughter was in a very fussy mood and had been all day and saw it on the table and wanted it. She had never had candy before so thats not why she wanted it. I guess it just looked interesting. Anyways, In a moment of weakness and exhaustion I gave in and let her suck on the jawbreaker for about 30 minutes. She was quiet and I was able to get the dishes done and relax for a few. I know she didn't get very far into the jawbreaker because she didn't get to another color anywhere on it... would anyone else allow this? Was it a mistake? Or was it no big deal? I'm a young mom feeling guilty and curious... please let me know what you think ... NICELY. Thanks =]

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:28 PM on Apr. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Listen, I'm a total candy addict so I'm not bashing the jawbreaker per se... but no, I wouldn't think the sugar and chemicals would be ideal for a baby. No reason to even give them a taste for sweets at this age.. And I would watch out for those moments of weakness... if she had seen a container of rat poison and wanted it, you wouldn't have given it to her. I try to think like that sometimes: just pretend the benign thing that kids are asking for is actually harmful -- in their minds, your saying "no" to something that could kill them or saying "no" to something they get all day is EXACTLY the same... equally unfair! so just say no, and stick to your guns. BUt I'm sure no permanent damage has been done :)
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:34 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I dont see a HUGE problem with it at all. My son has been getting tastes of iceing since he was like 2 months old so for me this isnt a big deal... I probably would have done the same thing.. I dont promise other moms wont see a problem with it but hey it's your baby if you didnt have a problem with it and dont do it everyday then there isnt a big problem with it.. Thats just me
    TristansMommy16

Answer by TristansMommy16 at 8:35 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• my dd always gets a taste of a lollipop when were at the bank... shes been getting tastes of everything since a few months old, so i think yours will be fine, just dont make it a daily habit or anything.
    LuvsDanika

Answer by LuvsDanika at 8:45 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Well, I think I am completely different. My son is 2 years old, has never had McDonalds, fast food, ect... and rarely ever eats any sort of candy. I am not judging you because as you said it wasn't like she ate the whole thing. I don't think it is a huge deal, but I would keep it to a minimum. Every once and a while. (He gets that sort of stuff for treats-special occasions )
    Anonymous

• Don't beat yourself up, but I wouldn't make that a habit.
    loli_usn17

Answer by loli_usn17 at 8:56 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I don't allow my kids to have candy and sugars until they are 3. When they are babies it is so easy to control what they eat.
    I believe in giving my baby the best start in life, that includes no junk food.
    Devory

Answer by Devory at 9:08 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Thanks! I really appreciate ya'lls opinions... and thank you even more for being nice. I was expecting some mom to get on here and call me a horrible parent and yadda yadda yadda lol... thanks again =]
    Anonymous