is it bad to mix powdered formula into pureed foods?

At my son's 6 month check up, the doc said that he could stand to gain more weight. I breastfeed and have always fed on demand. I introduced solid foods around 4-5 months, and he usually eats solids 4 times daily (3 meals and a snack). I have tried to increase feedings, but he isn't interested in nursing unless he's tired...he'd rather play. He won't take a bottle of bm or formula, so I'm trying to think of alternatives to get extra calories and nutrients into him. I give him avocado as much as possible for the extra fat, calories, and nutrients, but I feel like I need to do more. Any suggestions?

sbailey

Asked by sbailey at 6:16 PM on Jun. 20, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i have read that concentrating formula is a very bad idea, they need the water to properly process the sodium, etc. so i would say no. i think you're doing everything right. my dd is really small and me and dh are both big, i think you're ok.
    katiesmom123

Answer by katiesmom123 at 7:02 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• my dd just had her 6mo check up today, and needs to gain weight too. i mix oatmeal with formula in with her fruits, and rice cereal with formula in with her veggies and meats. i've been giving her 2 "meals" a day, and am going to increase to 3, and find those mesh bags to put avocado in like dr recommended. i nurse on demand too, but she's been snacking on me and using me as a pacifier. good luck to you! i'm in the same boat!
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 7:34 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Most doctors are complete idiots when it comes to breastfed babies. The child growth charts have been changed since the onset of more formula fed babies. Here are the original charts: http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/growth/growthcharts.html

Your baby is most likely perfectly fine in weight and height. The only time you need to be concerned is if your baby is severly underweight (failure to thrive) or they are dehydrated. If your baby doesn't want to eat, it is because they are not hungry. You are probably doing perfectly fine.

As for adding concentrated formula, that is very dangerous. Formula is not a sterilized products, and because of this there is a very dangerous bacteria that can grow inside of formula. If any child is fed formula it should first be sterilized by heating it as hot as possible. If you're really concerned, just pump and add milk to your baby's solid foods.
    Aeris07

Answer by Aeris07 at 9:00 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• Um...you don't have to heat up the formula. That's a matter of taste. I wouln't add dry formula to baby's food because it might constipate them because of the lack of liquids. That being said, have you thought about adding rice cereal to their food. WHat about already made formula? You just don't want to mess up their eletrolytes or have a constipated baby.
    GraciesMommy25

Answer by GraciesMommy25 at 7:15 AM on Sep. 27, 2008

• if you are making your own baby food you can use made formula as a fluid to mix the food. so where you would use water to puree you can use mixed formula instead. Make your formula bottle and take and add that to the food you are processing. Store the excess food in ice trays till frozen then in ziploc bags. If you have the book what to expect the first year they tell you how to make baby food. Just follow the directions.
    nathaniel51208

Answer by nathaniel51208 at 9:08 AM on Oct. 2, 2008