its my 3 year old ready for pre-school ? please help

hi i have a 3 year old and on monday im goint to take him to a private school on monday to get him ready for when school starts on august me and my hubby are a little worried for him his been here with us all the time and he does not like school im afraid hes goint to have a hard time at school , its just that im also 30 weeks preg and by the time he start the baby its goint to be almost a month and i dont want him to feel like im pushing him to school so that i can stay with the baby . please help what should i do ? should i enroll him in school on monday or should i wait till hes 5 please help im confused and i dont know what to do with him i dont want him to be here all day bored but i dont want him to feel bad thank you ,

janit

Asked by janit at 9:06 PM on Apr. 25, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• maybe see if you can enroll him for about a month only at first? give him time to get used to it see how he does. my daughter turned 3 in dec and will be starting preschool in the fall, im afraid she'll feel the same way with being booted out b/c our new baby will be about 3 months by then. however she loves the idea of going to school. maybe you could play school at home to get him used to the idea? pack a "lunch" in a lunch box and pack his book bag with some coloring books and reg books and for an hour a day play school and you be the teacher. my daughter loved doing that last year and i think has helped her to like the idea. i just made sure i wasn't too too fun with it b/c i wanted her to understand when she does go she has to listen and behave for her teachers.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 9:09 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• First, calm down and take a deep breath. Remember that nobody knows your child better than you in th ewhole entire world so trust your instincts and your decisions. I put my son in a 2 day learning center mainly to get the socialization and fine gross and motor skills, like using scissors, holding crayons in correct position, running outdoors in a safe environment, getting use to taking naps during the day in a foreign environment, etc. Make it fun for him and don't let him see you anxiety or nervousness. think about it in terms of this: Your son is having fun at school, learning new skills, socializing and having a ball. I know is nerve wrecking but it must be done when and if you feel your child is ready for it. Also extra attention when he gets back from school will mak ehim look forward to going there. Good luck and remember, going to school is a good thing for your child is just a matter of when is best for him.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 9:14 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• homeschool him for preschool just go to Beckers and make copies of pages
    Anonymous

• He's going to start preschool next August, right? Wait until then. It's not like the baby is going to be born one day then you're shipping him off! The baby will be there for a month, he'll have time to adjust and then he is such a big boy he GETS to go to school!!! Build it up for him over the summer.

Unless there is some reason it's being recommended to you to start him now at the end of the school year.....then that's a whole other thing.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:28 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• has your son ever been on a play-date? how does he interact with other kids then? If he is not that shy then he will love it. My 4 yr old will be starting her 2 nd yr of preshool b/c you have to be 5 by december to go on to kinder. But she absolutely loves it and it is only 2 days a week also. and it is at the YMCA where she gets to swim every thursday too so that really helps. but yes the extra attention when he gets home will help a tremendous amount. and you will miss him so it will be very easy to do.
    beyondaprincess

Answer by beyondaprincess at 2:47 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• You could take him somewhere for the months leading up to august where he would go 2-3 days a week for 2-3 hours at a time. Both my older 2 LOVED going to school. I think they were bored at home
    Anonymous

• I would forsure enroll him in preschool!!! I dont not enroll my son into preschool until he was four, and he is basically "behind" as the teacher would say! Things they used to learn in kindergaden they are now learning in preschool! I just got the list of things my son needs to know before he goes into kindergaden and it is just unbelievable!
    mrsmamaj

Answer by mrsmamaj at 9:12 PM on Apr. 30, 2009