Can u get a tatoo when breastfeding?

i want to get another tatoo can i get one when breastfeding? I know that u cant when u are pregnant...

Lacrisha

Asked by Lacrisha at 9:10 PM on Apr. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Ok from the stuff I just read, as long as you go to a good place and the person is licensed and qualified and the needles are all sterilized (just like you would check for any tattoo) you should be perfectly fine. Getting a tattoo will have no effect on your milk, nor will it harm your baby. Good luck! What do you plan on getting?

AnnHenderson

Answer by AnnHenderson at 9:29 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• NO
    Anonymous

• Why can't you get a tattoo while pregnant? I would like an explanation, this is an interesting question to me.

AnnHenderson

Answer by AnnHenderson at 9:17 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Oops.... not pregnant thats common sense... I mean while breast feeding. Sorry!!

AnnHenderson

• I got told by my friend who did mine that ur body may push the ink out or something like that
    Lacrisha

Answer by Lacrisha at 9:18 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• when u are pregnant anyway thats y i want to know if im ok when im breastfeding
    Lacrisha

Answer by Lacrisha at 9:19 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I dunno why you wouldnt be able to, I mean, when youre pregnant you cant get one because your body will reject anything, but I sure hope you can because Im going to.
    mommakitty24

Answer by mommakitty24 at 9:41 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Local and systemic infections are the most prevalent risks of tattooing. See http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVFebMar05p3.html
    "Many, if not most, professional tattooists will not tattoo a woman who is currently pregnant or breastfeeding. World-reknowned tattoo artist Pat Fish of Santa Barbara, California, USA says:
    There is always an element of risk in getting a tattoo. The tattoo could have an adverse effect on the mother’s immune system that could be transmitted to the baby.

While the body is healing after a tattoo—and producing milk—and if the mother’s body would "reject" the tattoo, the possibility exists that it could harm the baby. This is especially a problem if the client does not follow the aftercare instructions and develops an infection."
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:47 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Yes, you can. Many artists will turn you away though, if they know you are nursing.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:55 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• LOL push the ink out?That seems goofy?Are you tattooing a streched belly?lol maybe that would make since!LOL I dont see the harm in a tatto while BF unless your tatooing your nipple ;)
    Chrystal_A

Answer by Chrystal_A at 10:08 PM on Apr. 25, 2009