How do i potty train my 3yr old boy?!?!?!

we moved in with my bro in law who has a boy the same age my oldest is. soon after, my boy became potty trained after learning from my nefew. well, my baby boy was born a month ago and my oldest basically stopped peeing in the toilet. he wasnt pooping before so that hasnt changed any. we tried calling him a baby, guilt trips, strait underwear. everything i can think of. we even ask family and friends advice . did what they said too. nothing is working. we are so tired of all the trying it is starting to get a lil out of hand with him. we need some serious help. do i just put him in pullups again? do i continue to put diapers on him when he goes in his underwear? what do i do?

HnKmommy2

Asked by HnKmommy2 at 9:19 PM on Apr. 25, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i d k depends on the kid is he lazy or just slow at it.
    Anonymous

• of it is only night then diapers
    Anonymous

• I don't know if this will be helpful or not. We just let my son run around with his bottom hanging out, and this worked for us. I will say that even now, almost a year later, we will have setbacks. Once we were on a trip and out of our normal routine and that caused trouble. Talk to your doc the next time you get a chance - sometimes they will have some insight we would never think of.
    grahamom

Answer by grahamom at 9:24 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Well with my oldest son, we used the pull-ups on him and every hour we asked if he had to go potty. Gave him a little treat when he went and gave him 2 when he went poop in the potty. It worked well for a bit but then he got lazy. It was definitely frustrating but it took 6 months to get him 100% PT'd. Whenever my husband went to the bathroom he brought him along.
    azn_ladie82

Answer by azn_ladie82 at 10:20 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• it sounds like he's reverting because he feels like the new baby is replacing him. i know that it must be hard to care for a baby and a lil guy but he needs some reassurance that he is still loved and very important to you. he'll get it back together, it'll just take time, but for you i'd say pullups if he's having accidents.
    good luck
    r2mommy

Answer by r2mommy at 11:03 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I agree with azn ladie82. I did just about the same with my 3 year old , but after a few weeks in pull ups, I went straight to big boy underwear during the day. In one week being in undies, he was down to one pee accident a week. A few weeks later, he had no pee accidents. It took a few months to get him poppie trained. Stay consisent and don't give up. : )
    AsaGarrett

Answer by AsaGarrett at 11:05 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• hang in there don't give up:) my son did the same thing when my daughter was born and he is finally peeing and pooping in the potty all the time now and my daughter will be 2 in october! just keep working with him and stick to it!!!!!
    busymamma503

Answer by busymamma503 at 2:06 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• i agree i bet once the new baby wears off and he realizes he is still loved he will go back to peeing in the potty! i have a 3 yr old boy whos is discusted by pooping so just hang in there hopefully it will only get better
    sarastorer

Answer by sarastorer at 8:54 PM on Apr. 27, 2009