How do I get my son to stay in his own bed all night?

My three year old started climbing back into bed with us again recently. He seems to have a radar for the right time to hop in when we are fast asleep and don't notice it. I have been using a reward system with him. When he stays in his own bed all night he gets a sticker, and when he gets to 5 stickers he gets a little pizza. It worked nicely for a while, but he has stopped responding to the system, and doesn't seem to care about the pizza anymore. Any suggestions??

grahamom

Asked by grahamom at 9:20 PM on Apr. 25, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• popcorn w movie in his room
    Anonymous

• Good luck with this one... cause I'm dealing with the same thing also. LOL! Mine comes to get in our bed at the same time each night. Sometimes he is so alseep he doesn't even wake up! So I will just pick him up and place him back in his bed. If he happens to be awake I will let him go back to sleep with us, then take him back to bed and he will usually stay in his bed til early morning ( like 6:00). However, there are many times, I am so tired and so sleepy, I don't even take him back to bed, I just leave him in their with us, haha. So, I have really nothing for ya. But your not alone and if you find anything that works, please let me know! : )
    Lindsay
    AsaGarrett

Answer by AsaGarrett at 11:00 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I have the same problem too! My little boy seems to come in our bed around the same time to almost every nite.
    I hope it is a phase. I really don't know what to do.....it seems like by this age they are almost smarter then us. LOL
    tambam75

Answer by tambam75 at 12:09 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• take him to the store and let him choose his new reward and tell him he cant have it until he stays asleep in his own room for the amount of stickers you used for the pizza. When the reward doesnt work, change the reward. I'd limit the amount you spend for them though, like $5 at the most.

Just an idea, but maybe if you tell him he gets an easter egg each morning for sleeping in his bed all night, maybe you could get away with using smaller treats, like tattoos, stickers, etc. Use those plastic eggs we all just got recently for something to your benefit.
    pinkcalla721

Answer by pinkcalla721 at 1:49 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I have the same problem with my 4 year old. Lastnight he came knocking on our door at least 7 times and finally hubby got tired of it and put him in our bed
    heavenlypeace

Answer by heavenlypeace at 7:41 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Have you tried a different reward? Like maybe letting him make his own ice cream sundae or maybe a toy from the dollar store? He might be bored of the pizza lol
    Aplatel87

Answer by Aplatel87 at 7:42 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• i have a 3 yr old who does the same thing since we just recently moved i have been trying this and seems to be working...i moved his toddles bed into our room and it has made a big difference yes he is still in our room but in his own bed i guess it just helps him feel secure. then once i feel he is doing good we will move his bed back into his room also try letting him pick out a night light for his room if moving his bed isnt an option..
    sarastorer

Answer by sarastorer at 8:49 PM on Apr. 27, 2009