tantrums brushing hair and clipping nails help!

My daughter is 2yrs old and she throws a tantrum when I brush her hair and clip her nails, i tried clipping her nails when she's sleeping, but she wakes up and throws a tantrum, what can I do 2 keep her calm while I brush her hair and clip her nails?

Red_Mama0723

Asked by Red_Mama0723 at 9:32 PM on Apr. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

• cut off her hair till she likes taking care of it herself, shorter like shoulder-length-it is not worth it!
    Anonymous

• Sounds very familiar. My son was the same way and I dread clipping hi snails because it was a daunting task with him. He outgrew the fear on his own but it took me almost a year. I tried to clip th enails right after bath time at night when he was more calm and relax. i also gave him massages on his feet to let him get use to me touching his feet for longer periods of time once he was very relaxed I would snip the toe nails and most of the time it worked. The nails, he faught it to the bitter end so I started letting him old the clippers to see it was not a bad thing, then I would clip my nails and let him see and examine the process, eventually he warmed up to it and he is 3 yo now, still now and then he refuses to allow me to clip his nails but distractions works and doing it when he is tired helps to ease the anxiety on his part. Try taking her to the park, let her run and get really tired, give her a bath and try.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 9:38 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• And I also tried doing both after a bath but she still throws a tantrum I just fininshed doing it, but now she's mad @ me and won't talk 2 me , I don't want it 2 be this way everytime I have 2 do one of these things. I hate when she's mad @ me, I feel so bad :( help!
    Red_Mama0723

Answer by Red_Mama0723 at 9:40 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Cont. Maybe that will help. Regarding the hair brush let her see your routine in the morning that brushing hair is no big deal, invite her to brush yours and compliment her in how gorgeous she looks and what a good job she is doing with your hair, get her a doll and a brush and pretend to be doing the dolls hair that should ease her anxiety. Never force her to get nails clip or hair brush, always invite her cooperation and eventually it will pay off. Good luck.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 9:40 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• my youngest doesn't like her nails trimmed either. My solution was to buy her cheap finger nail polish and I tell her she can only have big girl nails like her older sister after she gets her nails trimmed.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 9:42 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I do the massage thing but once clippers are put in to the equation it gets ugly, I've also let her hold the clippers and see me do it but didn't help any she just got more scared
    Red_Mama0723

Answer by Red_Mama0723 at 9:45 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I've also let her brush my hair and watch me she likes doing it 2 me but when its her time 2 have her hair brushed, she starts screaming and as for cutting it her father won't let me have it cut, and plus I really don't have the extra money 2 get her hair cut the cheapest place around is $15 just for a haircut
    Red_Mama0723

Answer by Red_Mama0723 at 9:51 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

Red_Mama0723

• How about letting her play in water for a long time to soften the nails, then (my son loves to play in the tub), then put his favorite cartoon or show, once her attention is completely focus on the show, start touching her hand and fingers talking with her, reassuring her that it won't hurt, then let her hold a clipper with one hand while you clip the other. Offer her to clip your nails and pray on her desire to do grown up things, like having your nails clip. it will take time to make a nail clipping routine that works, I even tried one little m&m for ever finger he let me clipped, I was reaching desperation at that point. I am suggesting you to bribe your dd with candy but when those nails get too long they become a problem. try several things until you find what works best with her. Good luck and let us know.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 9:53 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I bought a pair of nail trimmers that look like an alligator (drug store), and now the alligator gets hungry and nibbles off the nails (after she tells him which one to eat first!). I also let her choose sparkly nail polish when we're finished.

As far as the hair brushing- she has a family of tangle bugs in her hair! We have to 'kick them out' (brush them out) all the time. The dad one is the meanest... I just hope that she doesn't get in public and mention the bugs that live in her hair! lol
    warrenfamily95

Answer by warrenfamily95 at 9:53 PM on Apr. 25, 2009