Does mil have a RIGHT to be in the delivery room?

My mil says she has a LEGAL RIGHT to be in the delivery room when my baby will be born, and she doesn't care who tries to stop her, and she will not leave no matter what. Is this true? She also says that my dh and I WILL be bringing the baby over at least twice per week, otherwise she's going to take us to court for grandparents rights. She says she will use the fact that I have bi-polar disorder to prove that I can't take care of the baby by myself (while dh is at work).

What do I do? I'm really depressed and anxious...I'm due in a month...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:54 PM on Apr. 25, 2009 in Pregnancy

• What a lunatic! First of all, she has NO RIGHT to be in the delivery room! Hell, if she's going to be that way i wouldn't even call her until AFTER the baby is born! Also, she has no say in how much you let her see your child. Don't let her scare you! Do what you want.

Also, don't ever let her tell you that you can't be a good Mom just because you have BPD. It may be an obstacle, but you can still be a terrific mom.
    ronisaurus

Answer by ronisaurus at 1:47 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• NO!!! Absolutely NOT!
    She also isn't LEGALLY allowed grandparent's rights (visitation) either. She sounds insane!! You need to make sure your husband is on your side and try to ignore her! What a pain...
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 9:56 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• psh no way she doesnt have to be in the delivery room as for grandparents rights she could probably do that.doesn't mean she'll win
    Andrewsmommy12

Answer by Andrewsmommy12 at 9:57 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Okay, first of all you need to calm down, anxiety is not good for you or your child. Then, talk with your doctor and make your wishes known that over your death body your MIL will be in the delivery room, no grandparents rights overpower parents rights. If you don't want her there, she won't period. Nurses will kick her ass out of the hospital d=faster than you can say bye bye to her. Just make sure you tell them in advance, I would also make my file private so she can't be inquiring about your health which isn't her business. Then i would get a restrained order because she sounds very unstable talking loco about taking you guys to court and all that crap when the baby isn't here yet. Lastly, don't let her use your bipolarity as an excuse to start budding up into your family. the fact that you are bipolar doesn't make you an incompetent parent. If you have never tought about harming your child there is cont.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 9:59 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Ha, my sons father tried to pull that one on me b/c we weren't together anymore. I actually looked it up and they had grandparents rights a long time ago but they don't anymore. When you go into the labor and delivery part of the hospital, if you don't want her in there, give the people at the desk her name and they won't let her in there. They are there for you and not anyone else! Also, I my cousin is bi-polar and theres no possible way she could take the baby from you unless you were physically harming it! My sons father tried to do all that to me too, she's just trying to intimidate you to get her way! Please, be strong and dont give in! I didn't, and now she knows where we stand! You can google grandparents rights and look it up for yourself, it said they did away with it years ago
    Anonymous

• And for grandparents rights she would have to prove that you dont let her see the baby EVER
    Andrewsmommy12

Answer by Andrewsmommy12 at 10:00 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Absolutely not. It is your body that is going to be on display not hers. She has no right. Tell the nurses and have them to put up a "do not disturb' sign on your door. Also, just don't call them until after you've delivered.
    SmileyMoo

Answer by SmileyMoo at 10:00 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• No it's not true you can have anyone in there you want and don't need to let anyone you don't want in there. Tell her to take you to court because it would take months for them to investigate you to see if you are unfit to care for your child and even then it almost never happens. I would tell her NO you are not going to be in there while i'm giving birth and i would have a nurse call hospital security if she becomes too hard to handle. I would also tell her she needs to grow up and give you some space if she really wants to be part of her grandbabys life. I'm sorry your dealing with that and i hope it works out for you.
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 10:00 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I'm sorry I meant my son's father's mother! In other words my sons grandmother
    Anonymous

• she has no right to be in the room and if you advise the hospital they will have her removed, Why are you even telling her when your in labor ? As for grandparents rights not sure google it !!
    MrsCarlton

Answer by MrsCarlton at 10:01 PM on Apr. 25, 2009