Breastfeeding.

If you breastfeed..

Do you smoke? If yes why?

Do you drink alcohol? If yes why?

Do you eat organic? If no why?

Breast milk is best so why not treat it as such by not smoking and drinking and eat organic?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:01 PM on Apr. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

• Smoke? No.
    Drink? I was advised to have a shot of brandy in hot chocolate to help my milk let down; I don't drink otherwise.
    Organic? Couldn't afford to go totally organic, did the best I could though and we never eat processed foods anyway.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 11:49 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• woah judgmental sally. Do you know anything. I do not smoke, drink, or always eat organic. BUT, I am a CLC (certified lactation consultant) and I will tell you that you would have to smoke AT LEAST 8 cigarettes an hour to have a traceable amount of nicotine in your milk, AND be over the legal limit drunk to have traceable amounts of alcohol in your milk AND some people can't afford organic. Why don't you eat fillet minion every night for dinner? Quite being a B**CH and making drama posts.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 10:07 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Angry much? If it doesn't pertain to you why be angry? Since when is a CLC an M.D. ?

Anonymous

• Seems like the C.L.C is waaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy smarter than you are. And since when does being someone who breastfeeds and apparently thinks they do everything right make you an authority on the subject?
    Anonymous

• Huh. I had a doctor, yes, an MD tell me to have a drink, just one, if I was so stressed out that my son couldn't nurse. No, I didn't eat organic, I still don't. I can't afford it. And those that breastfeed are doing it because they see it as the best thing for their baby. Get of your damn high horse, you are no better then me, or anyone else. And the CLC doesn't have to be a damn MD. She is certified, that's good enough. What doctor is going to specialize in breastfeeding?
    Buffie95

Answer by Buffie95 at 10:40 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• the lactation consultant is correct anonymous, my lactation consultant said the same thing when i asked her these questions.

you should do your research before you start talking.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 11:03 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Those moms who do all of the above and nurse are going to be defensive. They don't realize they are harming their baby. If a mom cannot give up a few things for her children she is not ready for motherhood.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:07 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• NO, don't smoke
    Yes I will have a drink now and then, a dark beer was suggested by my ND to help keep my milk supply up, lower stress levels, and help me fall asleep.
    NO. I do not buy organic all the time because I am on a budget and cant afford it.
    I also hav been studing nutition and natrual medicin independantly for a few years, and from what I have learned, breast milk is filtered several times before it actually reaches your breast.

I can get smoking, but the other two .... you should educate yourself on these things before you try to make yourself feel better and more imortant by putting other mothers down. You may think your the "perfect" mom, but your post suggests that you lack tact, empthy, the ability to educate yourself.... your children may end up physiclly healthy, but emotionally disturbed if you don't pull your self off that high horse.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 1:30 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• 1. When it comes to lactation, ALWAYS ask a CLC or an IBCLC. MD's know nothing.
    2. No I don't smoke- it's gross.
    No I don't drink-- It makes me sick.
    No I don't eat all organic-- I'm already on an elimination diet and my food is very expensive. If I ate all organic I wouldn't be able to eat anything cause I wouldn't have enough money to buy it.
    3. Breast milk IS best, even if you smoke and drink and live on twinkies and hohos. Well, maybe not drinking every day all day.
    4. I should really stop feeding trolls.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 2:07 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Out of 8 answers of only 1 answered the actual questions. Who said anything about being judgemental? Not me. I truly want to know. If you feel the need to defend some of those actions then you must know it's not right.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:15 AM on Apr. 26, 2009