what kind of puppy do i get?

I looked at a house today and Ithink I am gonna call them tomrrow to tell them I want to rent it. BONUS its pet friendly.
My 5 1/2 yr old boy soooo wants a dog, and Im ok with it but I have no clue what kind to get. He is good with them and loves to play fetch with friends dogs.
I need something that can play and keep up with him, but will be ok while he is at school and I am at work, and that will not be too too big, I gotta feed the thing.
lol
suggestions anyone?
Thanks

mommymeg03

Asked by mommymeg03 at 10:04 PM on Apr. 25, 2009 in Pets

• Go on petfinder.com. They list all kinds of pets available for adoption.
    funmom99876

Answer by funmom99876 at 10:05 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• i know that.... what i am asking is what is a good breed for a active 5 yr old boy that wont be too overly huge
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 10:06 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I have a rottweiler who is such a big baby and is good with my 3 year old and my 18 month old but i know you don't want anything too big so my advice is black labs or golden retrievers are really good with kids and are really easy to house train. they are very loving dogs and you will never regret getting one. they are the best dog you could get. but smaller you could get a beagle but they bark a lot but an boston terrior doesn't and they are good dogs. good luck
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 10:17 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• If you go on petfinder.com you can search by age, size, breed or breed mix to narrow down what you are looking for. There are a lot of breeds that are good with kids, and soooo many great mixes. A smaller Lab mix, Beagle mix, a Boxer mix, a Bichon mix, a Pug.... There are so many good dogs out there in rescues and shelters that can fit well with a family. If you contact a rescue to talk to them about a dog that "speaks" to you, they will be able to talk with you and evaluate your family's needs and wants and lifestyle to help match you will a dog that will be a great addition to your family. Good luck!
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:19 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• i have a Boston Terrier. He's small but muscular (15-25 lbs full grown). He's loyal and friendly. He rarely barks. my husband had one growing up, and that dog was his best friend. Boston's are very smart too. Google it...they make great family pets. Good luck!!!

momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 10:22 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• i have 2 basset hounds but the male is kinda lazy (big surprise there LOL) but the female will play fetch with my dd and they're really sweet
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:23 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I'd go with a medium-sized dog. If your son has any allergies go with a poodle mix. Terriers are lively, poodles are really smart, labradors are big, but gentle, dalmations and dachsunds are difficult to train. You might want to talk with whoever is fostering the dog. They can give you good insight into the dog's personality. Some are already housebroken and crate trained. I have Pomeranian (5 # - maybe a little too fragile for a young boy) and a Pom mix (18#, silky coat - sheds!!! - chases balls, does tricks, makes us laugh every day!) Consider a Jack Russell terrier, Cairn terrier (Toto!) Westie, Puggle, Beagle, Labradoodle (they're smaller if crossed with a smaller poodle), Sheltie, Shiba Inu, Vizla, Schnauzer. Good luck and have fun!! Dogs bring a lot of joy into a family
    funmom99876

Answer by funmom99876 at 10:26 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Don't get too small of a dog. I have found the smaller the dog the harder they are to house train. I have a collie who seemed to house train himself and a chihauhau who loves to sneak and poo where he is not supposed to. I think the little ones just have a hard time holding it very long . I don't use a crate either because I think it a dogs job to protect the house at night or at least wake me up if there is a problem. They can't do that from a crate.
    MACY7108

Answer by MACY7108 at 10:27 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I think shelties are wonderful dogs for kids. I grew up with 2 shelties and they were great and SO intelligent.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 10:56 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• A puggle!!! We have one and we LOVE her! She's super friendly and has plenty of energy to keep up with your boy!!! :) You should get a dog that's about 1 year old if you can..... They're potty trained by then and not AS hyper, but still have energy!!! Craigslist has TONS of dogs on there too! Our puggle is about 20 pounds! She's really muscular and not too big!
    jbishop928

Answer by jbishop928 at 11:43 PM on Apr. 25, 2009