• In the Spotlight:

Paci?

I know the AAP recommends eliminating the bottle at one year but what about the paci?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:23 PM on Apr. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think the sooner you take it away the better. Don't try to do 2 transitions at once, of course, so after you transition from the bottle, I'd take away the pacifier. We did it at 6 months with our girls but we watched our friends struggle a lot to get their kids off them after around 18 months.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 10:54 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• honestly I know it is probably too late for this advice, but I wish I never ever gave my son a paci from day one. It is so hard to take away!! But my doc said around 18 months. Shit, I figure as long as he isn't like 3 and walking around with that frigging thing I'm good :) (I'm totally kidding by the way, he is 2 and doesn't have it anymore but it was not easy!!)
    CarieP

Answer by CarieP at 10:29 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• my son stopped his at 21/2. a little later than i wanted it but whatever. the dog helped us out by chewing it up. I would suggest by 1 year as well. and the earlier you do it the easier it is going to be of breaking him/her off of the paci. you can wait until the next holiday which i think is christmas(that you could do this experiment) and tell him that another child needs his paci and santa clause is coming to pick it up. it worked with my cousins 3 kids. good luck
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 10:30 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• i took my dd's away when she was 3 months old, i didn't want her to get dependant on it, but she didn't take it too much anyway
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:35 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• HA my Dr. YELLED at me... My son 15 months takes a bottle at bed time sippy cup threw out the day unless hes sick!!! Also I HATE THE PACI!!!! So He never had it unless you count the evil babysitters or family members who said its better for them and it keeps them quite!!! Oh boy did I go nuts!!!!
    Dallasmommie

Answer by Dallasmommie at 11:08 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• i got rid of my oldest son's around 21 months. It got a hole in it so we had to throw it away. He was fine with that. He watched me do it and knew that it was gone. Before that for a few months he was only allowed to have it on it on his bed. So either at nap or bed time. There were a few times when he would want it so he just sat on his bed for a few minutes with it and then would get done. But the paci stayed on the bed. My second son is 16 months and around 18 months I am going to start with keeping it totally on the bed with him and see how it goes from there.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 11:39 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• My kids gave it up between 4 months and 6 months of age. But I am a firm believer that if your child wont just give it up by themselves like mine did, that when they start getting teeth is a really good time to take the binky.
    rugratsmommy4

Answer by rugratsmommy4 at 11:41 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• My one month old is already giving his up. I'm really happy he is, my third child kept it until 3. It was terrible getting rid of it. My 3rd and 4th got rid of it at 2. I think it's best to have it gone by 12 months.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 12:50 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I think I'm about to start taking my DD's away. She is 9 months old. Hopefully it will go smoothly. However I wouldn't make it into a huge deal if she wants to hold on to it a little longer as long as she doesn't have it all day everyday.... My brother was 3 1/2 and my parents had tried EVERYTHING to get him to give it up. One day they were driving down the road, he rolled down his window, threw the passi out, and never asked for it again. I think its a bad idea to cause un necessary stress on a child by trying to take it away too fast all at once. Just ease into when ever you think its a good time and baby will adjust and be fine no matter the age. I do think its probably easier to start younger though...
    mrsbvader

Answer by mrsbvader at 2:06 PM on Apr. 26, 2009