10 month old sleeping problems

my dd usually sleeps great until very recent. She takes 2 naps, together they range between 2-3 hrs total. They are greatly needed and she gets really cranky without them! But my problem is she is sleeping really poorly at night all of a sudden. I put her to bed and she wakes up about an hour later ready to play and wont go back to sleep no matter what. Can anyone offer me any suggestions? She is 10 months!

SabrenaLeigh

Asked by SabrenaLeigh at 10:30 PM on Apr. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it sounds like you may need to cut her to 1 long nap a day. try to keep her up until around 1 pm and see if she will take a good long nap. it sounds like she is getting too many naps during the day. test that out and see if she has a better night sleep. she could also be teething and that may keep her up. rub some oragel on her gums and give her a little dose of tylenol and try that. good luck
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 10:33 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I would add that sweets, even four or so hours before bedtime, can make falling asleep difficult. This means juice, too.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 10:40 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• If you do decide to try cutting out a nap (but I'm not sure if that's the problem, if you're achieving both naps with no trouble and they're still falling around the same time as usual), then I would try to do it more gradually... at least for my daughter that was the ONLY way to do it. At 10 months she napped around 10 and around 2 for an hour and a half each (give or take)... so we set our goal as one three hour nap starting at noon... The first few days we didn't make it quite till noon, maybe 11, then 11:30..and of course, she only took ONE 90 minute nap... she was so tired by bedtime that we put her down a little early... anyway, eventually, she was taking about a 2 hour nap at noon, I guess by about 11 months. We never did get much longer than that, but she grew into it. We made the adjustment because she was refusing to take the 2nd nap, though, or taking so long to fall asleep for it that it was throwing off bedtime.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 10:50 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I will try the suggestions. I have tried one nap a day around 1ish but she gets very cranky when its time for bed and is even harder to put down. I also do not give her sweets and she doesnt drink any juice, just water and her bottles!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 9:25 AM on Apr. 26, 2009