Is drinking one medium cup of coffee everyday in the morning bad during pregnancy....

I heard so many different answers. I've been drinking my one medium cup for 15 years. If I don't I get a migraine that will leave me motionless. I am afraid that qutting cold turkey will do more harm than good. I also heard one cup a day won't harm anything. All day long adide from that I drink water and ice tea.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:38 PM on Apr. 25, 2009 in Pregnancy

• **aside from that*** Sorry type o. lol
    Anonymous

• I truly believe that when people, even professionals, tell you that caffeine is "ok" in moderation (some even have a serving amount limit) it is to cater to people who can't go without caffeine (hey, I understand, I used to be one of them!). The fact of the matter is, caffeine is an addictive substance, it is a harsh stimulant and it effects multiple body systems including the endocrine and nervous systems. Knowing that, I can't imagine that caffeine in ANY amount is "ok" during pregnancy. The less you drink the better, yes. However, if you can, I'd try not to drink any at all.

Caffeine has been linked to miscarriage in early pregnancy and low-birth weight and pre-term labor (among other things) in later pregnancy. It's not good for you and it isn't good for your baby. A lot of people say wait until you're out of your first trimester but after the first trimester is when the Baby is getting it's nutrition from you.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 10:44 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• You don't have to quit cold-turkey. Have a little bit less per day until you're completely off. I can't imagine that quitting an addictive substance cold-turkey would be healthy to your body (and therefore to the baby) either. Wean yourself off.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 10:45 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• well i was a smoker prepregnancy but i hear that coffee is the same way.. they told me its actually better to ween yourself off smoking (or coffee for you) instead of just quiting cold turkey. it kind of makes your body freak out.. just try and take your intake down a little each week.. its more so critical in the beginning.. i watch a lot of ob/gyn shows and they say 12oz of caffeine a day is completely fine..
    USMC_Elisa

Answer by USMC_Elisa at 11:02 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• It's all about moderation. One cup a day shouldn't be a problem. Try the coffee that is half decaf and have regular.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:03 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• well, my mother-in-law drank 2 cups of coffee every morning when she was pregnant with my husband...he turned out to be a rocket scientist for NASA. so, i'm assuming caffeine in moderation is just fine.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 11:15 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• You'll be fine. Some ladies need their "high" even when they are pregnant. Now with drinking coffee or tea or even soda is fine. You won't harm the baby at all. When I was pregnant with my boys, I had at least 4 sodas a week because that was my "high".
    Anonymous

• I got this online for you: "Caffeine during pregnancy - Although most studies show that caffeine intake in moderation is OK, there are others that show that caffeine intake may be related to miscarriages. Avoid caffeine during the first trimester to reduce the likelihood of a miscarriage. As a general rule, caffeine should be limited to fewer than 300 mg per day during pregnancy. Caffeine is a diuretic, which means it helps eliminate fluids from the body. This can result in water and calcium loss. It is important that you are drinking plenty of water, juice, and milk rather than caffeinated beverages. Some research shows that large amounts of caffeine are associated with miscarriage, premature birth, low birth weight, and withdrawal symptoms in infants. The safest thing is to refrain from consuming caffeine." I was wondering the same thing myself because my doc said it was ok in minimal amounts and in moderation.
    trebelcleff

Answer by trebelcleff at 11:18 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• One cup in the AM should be fine as long as you're getting enough non-caffeinated fluids and you don't have a health condition where caffeine could be harmful (heart or kidney disease, high BP). Check with your dr if you're concerned about your caffeine intake.

Ten cups would be a problem. =)
    zorrokat

Answer by zorrokat at 11:23 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• i drank coffee through my prgnancy every day i needed it to keep going or i would fall asleep all the time
    hedtrippe

Answer by hedtrippe at 11:37 PM on Apr. 25, 2009