What would you do?

I have 2 dogs and three cats. My son turned one two weeks ago and within the week his new ride on had been chewed. This morning I woke up to find a dog pooped in the hall and a cat peed in his pack and play. I know who the offenders are & I can't take it anymore. These have been long standing issues & I feel like it is unfair to my son, nevermind unsanitary. On the other hand.... I have had them for years & I always felt that you made a lifetime commitment when you adopt an animal.... I am just sick over it...

wanderingmuse

Asked by wanderingmuse at 10:45 PM on Apr. 25, 2009 in Pets

• I know how overwhelmed you must be taking care of so many.

You have a new priority and he is human. Your pets are important also, but must take second stage to the star.

Find the pets a good home. You will be a less stressed mommy for it.

(I had five cats when I was pregnant. One died when I was six months, another disappeared, and another died when my son was a little over a year old. I haven't replaced any of them. Down to two cats now and that is all I feel I can properly care for in addition to my most important responsibility....my darling two year old son!)
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 10:52 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Try bitter apple spray for the chewing (though some dogs like the taste, most don't.) Changes can stress animals out, and when my cats are stressed, they usually end up peeing all over my clothes...gross, I know, but it happens. Try crate training for the dogs, that should help with the going-in-the-house situation; older dogs CAN be crate trained. Good luck!
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 10:50 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• put all of them outside where they belong
    Anonymous

• Anon: cats who live outside don't live as long. They get in fights, hit by cars, eaten by coyotes, etc. And dogs are pack animals; all they want to do is be with their human. It's not fair to the animal to put them outside.

Timelessglass: getting rid of my pets would never even be considered. I love my animals far too much to stress them out by giving them up to a shelter or re-homing them; my dog had already had two homes when I got him, and it took weeks to get him acclimated to my home.

There is always a solution to any problems that might happen when you have animals! Don't give up on them :)
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 10:56 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Sarah Lee Morgan's got it right. Crate training is your best friend. Look around on the internet and do some research instead of just giving up without even trying.
    aurorabunny

Answer by aurorabunny at 11:55 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• If it stresses you this much, I would find good homes for them. I love my dogs, but not more than my own life and even my belongings. I value what I've worked hard to own, and while I also love my dogs, I wouldn't feel guilty over finding them a home individually. Don't let strangers make you feel guilty for wanting to adopt them out. Its not worth the stress.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 2:42 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Crate training a dog - dooable

Getting a cat to stop peeing on everything- Good Luck! I'd confine it to a singular room or get rid of it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:12 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• The dogs were crate trained, but we got rid of the crates once they learned. The dog in question is a pitbull and she growled at my son this morning. My husband found her a new home this afternoon. It is sad, but I simply can't be worried about his safety in his own home. I am currentlty looking for homes for 2 cats. I would gladly let them be inside/outside (they have their claws), but I live in the city and don't need the problems with my neighbors. We have been crying off and on all day, but we have tried for a year to help them adjust. Now that he is mobile it has gotten worse. I can't let him live in a house that is unsafe and unsanitary. As another poster said, our human child needs to be our priority. If we had more property or more money I may have been able to come up with a better idea. Unfortunately, we are poor and live on a postage stamp lot. Thank you all for your input!!
    wanderingmuse

Answer by wanderingmuse at 6:42 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Don't leave your son's things where the pets can get to them and block your pets from certain areas of the house (if possible). Some dogs chew and some cats pee on stuff they consider theirs. And it's true, you did make a commitment to your pet, just like your child.
    MelHar

Answer by MelHar at 12:23 PM on Apr. 28, 2009