Constipated again!!! Please read!

Ok mommas out there, heres whats going on...
I have a 4month old daughter, && shes been constipated for a while now! My doc wanted to start her on cereal @ 2 months...so I did! She then became constipated, she goes everyday but they are hard! So I then cut her completly off cereal and now her diet consist of 6oz of similac Isomil about every 3-4 hours with about 3 oz of water a day! & shes still constipated...uhhh!I then have given her baby prunes & she went good, then back to constipated!Then I gave her some diluted prune juice & she went good again,then BACK to constipated! So now my question is...do I give her diluted prune juice everyday to make her go normal, or could it be her formula!!!?????

v_serenil

Asked by v_serenil at 10:59 PM on Apr. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• that would be something to ask your doctor about, but I don't see why it would hurt to give her prune juice. Have you tried karo syrup in her bottle. we did that with our child when she was younger. she was a bit older than yours but it worked. be sure it is the dark and just squirt a little in the bottle that has the formula in it. shake it up real good and see how that works.
    cfiedler

Answer by cfiedler at 12:36 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Yeah, I would try a different formula instead of giving her the juice every day. You don't want her body to not be able to go by itself. Good luck!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 11:02 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I know too much iron can cause constipation. Could the Isomil have too much?
    A lack of magnesium in the diet can cause constipation, also.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 11:02 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• My son got this way on the formula same stuff but he wasn't hurting at all. but would go days without pooping so I thought he was. The doc told me it was because his body broke the formula down so well and he would go when he had to. so he was only going ever 3 to 4 days while on it. does she act in pain or just not going as much as you would like her to go.
    ladyluck09

Answer by ladyluck09 at 11:06 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• sounds like a large amount of iron has been put into her diet did you take iron supplements while pregnant? she could still just have alot of iron in her system i would tell doc again
    tiffandgene2009

Answer by tiffandgene2009 at 11:06 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• by the way why did your doc want to start her on foods that soon. that just sounds crazy to me unless she is very much under weight. my doc said to hold off till my son was 4-6 months before given foods.
    ladyluck09

Answer by ladyluck09 at 11:08 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• She goes everyday.....but they are hard balls!!!&& then actually a couple of times I would open her diaper and she would still be pushing and a long hard poop would come out! She wouldnt be able to have done that with her diaper on!!!! But nope shes happy and never fussy or shows any pain at all, even while shes pushing!!!
    v_serenil

Answer by v_serenil at 11:10 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Yeah I know! In my mind I was going to start her out on cereal when shes was about that age 4-6 months, I mean my bofriend and his mom were trying to get me to give it to her that young(1month) but I refused, but when I took her to her 2 month checkup, the nurse said the same thing so I was like ok I guess......
    v_serenil

Answer by v_serenil at 11:14 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• poor baby, my LO has that same problem, he's older and for about a month his poops were those those hard balls. Since she's younger i would try a different formula first, but what worked for my ds was upping his fluid intake (again, he's older 7 months), We just let him carry around a sippy with water in all day.
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 11:27 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I would recomend changing her formula maybe it is a lactose thing, I would try a soy based formula. It worked well for me.
    Mrs.Granados

Answer by Mrs.Granados at 12:03 AM on Apr. 26, 2009