When was your first doctor appointment?

How far allong were you when you had your first doctor appointment? What all happened at that appointment? With my last pregnancy, I was in Germany and they do things a bit different there (like ultrasounds at every appointment) so I am curious what to expect this time around.

mandamitch

Asked by mandamitch at 11:04 PM on Apr. 25, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I guess I will not be any help because I was in Germany as well. My sister however, had her first appointment around 10 weeks here in the states.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:06 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• i was 4 weeks pregnant and nothing happened but a pee test and questions of regular history, then 8 weeks pregnant another app. the doc measured my uterus and thats it hopefully my three month app we will have an ultrasound~~~!! good luck
    tiffandgene2009

Answer by tiffandgene2009 at 11:11 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I have an appointment for what we think will be about 10 weeks. I had irregular cycles due to changing birth control, so I am not quite sure how far allong I am. Hopefully that will justify an ultrasound for dating purposes!
    mandamitch

Answer by mandamitch at 11:13 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I was about 5 weeks along and all they did was take my medical history and briefly explain how their office worked and what their policies were. Then they scheduled another appointment for when I was about 7weeks along and did a trans vaginal ultrasound to give an estimated due date, and check for a heart beat and everything. I also saw the doctor at that appointment and they had me pee in a cup, checked blood pressure, and weighed me for the first time.

soccerchik8287

Answer by soccerchik8287 at 11:53 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I was 10 weeks (or so they thought). A week and a half later they had me come in for the first ultrasound and they said I was 8 weeks at that point. Anyway, at the first appointment, they took my blood pressure, weight, urine, and did blood work. They also did a pap smear and pelvic exam. They went over any questions I had and she tried to hear the heartbeat but couldn't and said that was normal, but sometimes they can. I had been in the office previously so I had filled out most of the medical info prior to that appointment. Then I was scheduled for the ultrasound and was on my way. So far now when I go in, I am in and out in about 15 minutes. I'm at week 22 now. 2nd ultrasound is scheduled for Monday.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 12:17 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I didnt get to the Dr until I was almost four months pregnant, the only thing they did was do a pap smear and listen to the heartbeat, two weeks later I was scheduled for an ultra sound
    Breezy1988

Answer by Breezy1988 at 12:45 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Typically, OBs will take you starting at 8 weeks as that is when they are fairly sure the pregnancy has taken. If you are high(er) risk they will take you from conception or even before.
    Every OB is different. Some will do an ultrasound around 8-10 weeks to confirm fetal age others just go by uterine height and hormone level. (U/S is the most accurate)
    Some OBs only do one ultrasound the entire pregnancy if everything is normal.
    You definitely have to have a pap done, that can be done at anytime during the pregnancy, but preferably before 10 weeks.
    Some OBs do a pelvic exam every time, some only the first visit or two then last couple visits as you get far enough along to dilate.
    Some see you once a month, others see you at 2, 6, 8, 9, labor. Unless there is an issue.
    I interviewed the local OBs staff by phone before making my appointment. I went to 3 before I found and office I liked. Be picky, it's your body!
    AndrisMom

Answer by AndrisMom at 11:31 AM on Apr. 26, 2009