does anyone else NOT give their child milk as a drink?

not because the child wont take it, but because you as a parent decided not to?

me and my dh wont give our daughter any cows milk. IF she is going to eat cereal well use rice milk.

we dont ever ever buy cows milk dont ever drink it and wont give it to our daughter. anyone else?? it seems like everyone assumes that EVERyone else gives their child milk to drink....

just curious

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:07 PM on Apr. 25, 2009 in Just for Fun

• My son won't drink milk, so I don't think anyone HAS to drink cows milk, as long as they are getting calcium from other sources. Your kids, your choice....don't feel bad about it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:10 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I think rice milk is an awesome alternative. My daughter drinks it at daycare. I do give her cow's milk, but will stop at age 5 (or atleast try to, wish me luck - lol.) I've read that the human body doesn't process/metabolize milk well after that age.
    MommyDumDum

Answer by MommyDumDum at 11:23 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• who cares. I and the president, as well as you most likely drank cows milk. Didn't kill me, him or you, I think my son will live through it as well.
    Anonymous

• I NEVER SAID IT WOULD YOU IDIOT ANONYMOUS. i was asking a question. why answer with smart ass remarks??
    Anonymous

• My kids drink cows milk however, I will buy them chocolate soy milk if it's on sale at the grocery store as a treat. If it were up to me, I'd rather they drank soy milk. But I don't do the majority of grocery shopping their dad does.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 11:27 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• im the same as cinderamethyst- i give them cows milk and sometimes some chocolate soy milk- although i have been thinking about giving goats milk a try- i hear its easier to digest- not to bash or anything but i heard rice milk wasnt good for kids- maybe im wrong but i though it was something about the carbs in it being too much or something- if im wrong then im sorry but is it ok? the whole reason i never tried it was because of wut i heard
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 11:48 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I personally use Rice Milk or Soy Milk but my son enjoys the Horizon Organic milks and I let him have them. He refuses, flat out refuses to eat any meat at all and its a good way to get some nutrients in him. He's very picky and he owns a cow (he's only four) and somehow he realized about six months ago where meat comes from and decided he wanted to be a vegetarian. As a parent if thats what he wants then fine I'm not going to force him to eat meat if he doesn't want to. I vowed I wouldn't suggest he become a vegetarian (I am for health reasons) when he was born and he never noticed I don't eat it. He just decided on his own. Anyway. Good for you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:52 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Just remember, there are protiens in dairy you can't get anywhere else. It is nature's kitchen, and man can't improve on that. Be careful of the bandwagons you get on. She's your daughter and its your decision to make, but why this? Is it an issue which makes you feel good or her feel good? Are you choosing this because it's new and cool, or because there is a real health issue? Don't fight your imaginary battle at her expense. She doesn't have a voice or choice in this.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:33 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• My children drank cow's milk at the age of one and I gradually weaned them down to skim milk (still cow's milk). With so many other options to drink my children don't drink milk exclusively. They do like it in their cereal, though.
    My oldest daughter is lactose intolerant and loves to drink the Silk milk, but not all the time.
    It's not something I've ever thought about, it's just something that was a part of our lives.
    With us all being older (my daughters are 20, 17, and 15) we don't really use milk all that much anymore, but we do buy a gallon every 2 weeks for recipes and cereal.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 3:09 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• my sons allergic, and drinks rice milk, and sometimes soy milk. nowadays they have added Vitamins to them so he's not missing out on any nutrition
    northcarolinama

Answer by northcarolinama at 6:00 PM on Apr. 26, 2009