How much formula does a 9 month old really need?

My son used to drink up to 30oz a day, until about 3 days ago he just stopped wanting bottles at all. I thought maybe he wanted 3 bottles instead, but that didn't help much. He'll sit still maybe long eough to drink 4 oz, then wiggle away. He wasn't going through a growth spurt because he ate 30 oz for about 2 months and he hasn't started eating more solids than normal either.

Has anyone else's baby just stopped taking formula out of nowhere? I was told that babies need a minimum of 18oz/day, but he's a really big kid and it seems odd to just give up almost half of his formula calories overnight!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:13 PM on Apr. 25, 2009 in Kids' Health

• We were told they should still be getting 20-24oz per day of formula. Our boys were at about that at 9 months, but they were eating three meals of table foods and two snacks (and 8-10oz of the formula was an hour before bed as a snack)

I *think* it sounds okay, but it is a LOT less than my boys were eating...but they had HUGE appetites. They dropped from taking an average of 45oz per day! lol

Talk to your pediatrician about it and get his take. The main thing is to make sure he's still growing (which I'm sure he is) and stays on his curve.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:39 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• what other foods are you feeding him on a regular basis?
    tiffandgene2009

Answer by tiffandgene2009 at 11:16 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• He eats a 2nd stage fruit and one serving of oatmeal for breakfast, a veggie for lunch and a meat, grain and veggie for dinner...he sometimes has gerber finger foods in the day.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 11:28 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• My son was on 2% milk and tablefood at 8 months. Ran out of formula one day and didn't have the money to buy formula, so we stopped and he got milk and the rest is history. When I told his doc, he was fine with it. The one year thing is a recommendation, all babies are different and can handle different things. I guess it also depends on what else your son is eating.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:24 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• my son is 9 months old and completly table fed... he gets 3 meals and 2 snacks a day... no baby food...

but he does love his bottles!!! he eats between 32- 50oz a day.... hes a big apatite for a little guy
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 5:12 PM on Apr. 26, 2009