At what age are you supposed to get a toddler bed??

I have a 1 year old boy and I am wondering what is the appropriate age to move him from the crib/playpen to a toddler bed?

ReginaGallo

Asked by ReginaGallo at 11:25 PM on Apr. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• 2 years old is what the manufacturer's say.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 11:28 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• I got my son a toddler bed at 10 months. He is 17 months now and doesnt use it.. Grandma still lets him sleep with her. Argh... But anyway- a good time would be when he is able to climb out of his crib and the mattress is as low as it goes.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 11:28 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• if he isn't climbing out of it i would wait at least another year or so. although my son started climbing out of his crib at 18 months. i would just keep an eye on that. but i think if they don't climb out of the crib a good age would be 2-2 1/2. yeah i think that would be good.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 11:29 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• We just set up our toddler bed last month. Our son recently turned two. His crib sides were so high, he couldn't climb out. So that isn't why we moved into a toddler bed. We did because he was waking up in the morning and seemed bored. So until we can go get him, he is now able to climb out of bed and open his toy chest and play for a bit.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 11:29 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• 11 months for us.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 12:09 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• my son slept in the playpen till he was 2 he never liked the crib. Now he is in his toddler bed and he loved it the moment we put it up so he probably could had gone in it sooner.
    ladyluck09

Answer by ladyluck09 at 12:11 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• There is no set age. And you don't even need a toddler bed, you can go straight to a twin. When you feel he is ready for the increased freedom and danger of an open bed, move him.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:42 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• There is no "supposed to age". You can move him to a toddler bed or a regular bed when you're ready to move him. Keep in mind most cribs have a height limit.

We did it at 15 months with all three of ours, to a regular bed.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:17 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• We didn't have a toddler bed. We went from crib to crib matress on the floor (at 3.5) to bed (at 4).

Answer by rkoloms at 6:46 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• We're going to skip the toddler bed because I think they're a waste of money... My daughter's still in her crib at almost 2, and we're not planning on taking her out of it until a) she starts climbing out, b) her sister, who's currently in the pack n' play, outgrows the pack n' play and needs the crib, or c) she turns 3. Whichever comes first, I guess. My thought is, why deal with the trouble of them getting out and roaming around, risk messing with naps and bedtime, if it's not necessary? The AAP recommends crib until 3 unless they get out.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:31 AM on Apr. 26, 2009