What is the best way to begin potty training my 18 mnth old daughter?

She tells us when she has gone poop but not pee, but lately she gets bad diaper rash so we want her to start using the potty soon.

cjfalter

Asked by cjfalter at 11:28 PM on Apr. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• the only thing i could suggest at this age is let her go to the bathroom with you every time you go. my doctor just told me yesterday that my 18 month old is too young to start potty training it could scare her out of it. but he also said that if she starts being interested in going to the potty then by all means try it. but don't push it as you would if she was older. and as far as the diaper rash she may be getting too much acid in her diet. her urine may be too strong for her. ( just thoughts) try giving her more water and see if doc can prescribe you nystatin for rash. good luck
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 11:32 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• My daughter is 17mths and she uses the potty 2 sometimes 3x a day. We started with 1st thing in the morning. When I wake her up, I take her straight from her crib to the potty and I strip her down, and sit her on the potty. It can take anywhere from 1 min to 10 but she always goes and will usually poop also. We have been doing this for about 1mth.
    Just this week, she has started to tell us "potty" or she leads me to the bathroom, she will lift the lid and place her seat on top. I take this as a "duh" sign that she wants to use the potty and so far she has not disappointed.
    I try to follow her clues. I will "announce" when I have to potty and alot of the time she follows me. Every so often, I will ask her if she needs to potty and most times she will say "No" and I don't force the issue. 17mths is a little young.
    But starting with 1st thing in the morning when you know that everyone needs to pee, will help her understand
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 12:00 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• that the potty and peepee are related.
    My daughter gets the biggest grin when she hears her pee hit the water.
    I also made up a potty song that we sing everytime, she goes.
    "pee pee on the potty, I'm a big girl now, pee pee on the potty, I'm a big girl now. I pee pee on the potty and I wipe my hiney clean. pee pee on the potty, I'm a big girl now"
    and I jump around and clap and cheer to make sure she knows that this is a good thing
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 12:02 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• my friend did this with her daughter. She bought a doll that pees and poops for her daughter and it sat in the bathroom and of course the little girl would feed it and she put it on the potty, she told her daughter to show the doll how to use the potty. And in turn her daughter would go to the bathroom in the potty. I thought that was a good method. I used the reward system with my son. He liked money so if he went potty he got a dollar everytime for first few weeks.
    ladyluck09

Answer by ladyluck09 at 12:15 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• People will tell you a lot of things about readiness, but my daughter trained at 19 months with few readiness signs and did well. We used a 3-day method, it sounds gimicky but it's actually not... You can find lots of info on it on the CafeMom group "Potty training moms" where lots of parents are using it. THe gist is that you set aside a few days to a week where you can be home and focus exclusively on potty training. You put them in underwear and a shirt, explain that they put pee pee in the potty, and then when they start to have an accident, you scoop them up and move them to the potty so they (hopefully) finish on the potty, reminding them that's where pee/poop goes. You reward them any time a little makes it in the potty. Very quickly they understand what the potty's for and how to recognize that sensation, and they start telling you they need to go. You don't have them sit on the potty when they don't need to go...
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:28 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• 18 months is a little young. You should wait until she starts showing signs of readiness: Your child can stay dry for two hours at a time during the day or is dry after a nap.
    Your child is uncomfortable with soiled diapers and wants them changed. (pronto!)
    Your child shows increasing interest in the bathroom.
    Your child’s b.m.’s are regular and predictable.
    Your child wants to wear Big Kid® pants.
    Your child can indicate by words, facial expression or body language that he or she
    is about to go.
    Your child can follow simple verbal directions.

If she shows two or more of those, go ahead and go for it!
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 9:39 PM on Apr. 26, 2009