Am I doing something wrong?Why has my babies stool become firm?To firm??

My dd is 7 1/2 months,now bf on demand & at breakfast she has approx. 3T rice cereal and 1 container of Gerber 1st foods fruit.Nurse on demand throughout the day and at dinner she has another 3T rice cereal and a container 1st foods(fruit or veg). And nursed some more before bed.
So why has her stool become firm?Firm enough to seem solid.Isn't she getting enough liquid?How can I give it to her without reintroducing the bottle?We are trying to stay away from bottles.

silver1diamond

Asked by silver1diamond at 11:54 PM on Apr. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My DD's poo started to get very solid when I was feeding her rice cereal. I increased her formula and it helped a little. But now at 9 1/2 months old she is eating solid food, breakfast, lunch, and dinner and it still isn't as solid as you said your baby's is... and like mines was when she had the cereal. So I think other moms are right and it probably is just the cereal.
    mrsbvader

Answer by mrsbvader at 10:59 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• too many solids imo. I would always make sure to bf first and then add solids if you want, but honestly I wouldn't add more than one solid a day, and I don't think cereal is the best solid to give, perhaps veggies or fruit. bm is all they need before one year, my two sons were not ready for solids at 7 1/2 mos... I know some can handle it, but not all babies.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 11:57 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• and yes... stay away from bottles if you can. if you absolutely must give bm w/o nusring try a sippy cup.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 11:58 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• Drop the rice cereal. She doesn't need it and it might be causing the problem. Stick with fresh fruits and veggies... she can probably start feeding herself at this age.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:00 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Cereal can cause constipation. It has very little nutritional value due to over processing so i'd just skip it. You can try toast - 100% whole wheat.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 12:04 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Is she constipated or is her poo just firming up some. B/c that is to be expected with a more solid diet. Its not a problem as long as she is not constipated.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:17 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Make sure you're always nursing before the solids. Cereal can be a problem for some babies.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:19 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• She might be getting too much of something. usually if the stool hardens alot, it is because they are usually getting too much calcium or another vitamin/mineral. Also, they might need more of something to actually soften it up. speak to your doctor about it or just go online and look for certain foods/drinks that can cause that problem and help eliminate it.
    cfiedler

Answer by cfiedler at 12:33 AM on Apr. 26, 2009