how old when they start talking?

My daughter is 19 months and say the words mama, baba, and yea. but no words together, etc. My mom says she should go to speech therapy. Doctor says she's fine since she was a preemie. She does completely understand what you tell her....ie..go get a diaper please, or pick up your sippy please, etc. she has started to sit on her potty(not use it) so she understands things but doesn't verbalize. how old were your kids when they started making clear words and sentences?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:55 PM on Apr. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• kids start at all ages my nephew is 28 months and only says a few words. probably says about 20 words. yet some kids learn really fast and can speak simple sentences at that age. It varies from one child to the next.
    ladyluck09

Answer by ladyluck09 at 12:10 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• hmm, I agree with lady luck....they start at all ages. mine is going to be 6 months soon. he started saying daddy, momma and I love you to both of us at 4months..... that's really early though...
    Adeline1210

Answer by Adeline1210 at 12:11 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• my daughter is 16 months old and really starting to talk a lot now. everyone's different. if your pediatrician isn't worried just yet then you shouldn't worry either.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 12:12 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• she started saying a few words at 7 months.
    GreekMama28

• I love you to both of us at 4months.....

Yeah right.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:21 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• 4 months does sound early but no one believes me when my 6 month old would say wuv you, mama, dada and her sisters name.

At 16 months she says her own name, all 3 of her sisters names, love you, I want you, I want bites, where you go?, I want baby, that's my baby, that's mine, maw maw, nana, paw paw, aww cute, puppy, kitty, aww cute baby/puppy/kitty, I do it, hold me, up, no no and many other words and phrases.

Anyway, babies start talking at all different ages. I think your daughter is fine. She's only 19 months old plus you said she's a preemie so don't forget..you have to adjust her age. She understands you and that is a HUGE plus. Don't worry mama...sounds like she's perfectly normal :)
    SmileyMoo

Answer by SmileyMoo at 12:42 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Here are the general guidelines:
    By 18 months, doctors want to see 10 to 20 words.
    By 24 months, doctors want to see 2 word phrases... more cookie (mo ooee) for example.
    By 30 months, kids should be using 4 to 5 word sentences.
    By 36 months, kids should be able to have short conversations and strangers should be able to understand 75% of what is said.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:46 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• My niece is 4 months younger then my son and she can talk very well for her age my son on the other hand needs me there to interpert what he is sayin to others. LOL he is almost 3 but was tounge tied until 15 months
    mommy806209

Answer by mommy806209 at 12:56 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• My 3.5 yr was born at 26weeks and my 1.5yr old was born at 8months. My 3.5 year old has severe speech/language delay. Although her speech improved about 10% by attending preschool and speech therapy, she has a long rode ahead. My 1.5 yr old, although born much later, is not speaking any words. He does mumble the words Night-Night and Te-tha (bottle in spanish) but no mama, no daddy. Should i be worried?
    alejandra559

Answer by alejandra559 at 1:26 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• FYI, an evaluator or therapist will adjust the baby's age until she is two years old. I just went through this with my guy. He started therapy and finally said his first word at 23 months. They told me that at 2 years (adjusted) he should have been saying at least 50 words and using two word phrases.

He is now, after 6 months of therapy.

Honestly...it's not going to hurt to have her evaluated and see. She may or may not qualify. My second son was evaluated at 15 months, was saying 3 words and found to have a moderate delay (not enough for therapy...they look for two moderate delays or one severe delay)

Just keep modeling words to her correctly (repeat "bottle" not "baba" for example) so she hears the words correctly. Use "mom-ese"...simple two word phrases..speech so she hears phrases. Once she's using phrases, correct sentences. This per our speech therapist...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:15 AM on Apr. 26, 2009