How can I get my baby to stand?

My 8 month old has no interest in standing... at all! When you pick him up his legs bend under his body and he has no intentions of bringing them down, let alone bearing any weight on them. We try to help him along by holding him and trying to hold his legs straight but it's hard (he weighs 18 1/2 pounds). We're working to get some occupational therapy for him but it's taking forever and I'm looking for things to do in the meantime. I don't know if anyone has had or has this problem but any suggestions would be appreciated.

lilblufyrfly

Asked by lilblufyrfly at 12:44 AM on Apr. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• wow he is just a little guy.. don't push it. most kids don't walk till they are older than a year. He has plenty of time. I just looked at baby book my son stood at 9 months 2 weeks and walked and 11 and half months. I put my son inside a plastic box though and was pulling pushing him around in it (no lid) and he stood up. I think he liked having the secure box around him of course I held it so it wouldn't tip on him. But that is when he first stood up. Then we let him use the push behind. I would also suggest saucer you can get them at walmart. he was standing in there for a long while prior to standing outside of it.
    ladyluck09

Answer by ladyluck09 at 12:55 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Yea, he's a bit small but then again he's a twin, a preemie, and was under 4 lbs at birth so he's huge to me. He just doesn't like his legs much I guess :(
    lilblufyrfly

Answer by lilblufyrfly at 12:59 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• does he crawl or scoot
    ladyluck09

Answer by ladyluck09 at 1:05 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• bouncer and encourage hold his hands in yours (if he is stable enough to hold up his head/back/chest) and in a sing song voice go UP UP UP and smile and praise when he tries. just gently pull up on his hands. Hopefully this helps and works!!
    cutiepieusa879

Answer by cutiepieusa879 at 2:21 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• sometimes when they are premie they are behind. My little bro was 29 weeks premature and was behind on all of it and didnt walk till he was almost 2 but is now a happy healthy little 4 yr old boy. Just let him do it when he is ready. Dont put pressure on him or he will keep fighting it. Thats atleast what the docs told us.
    zacharysmommie2

Answer by zacharysmommie2 at 3:26 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Remember you have to adjust his age for any of his developmental milestones.

If you're going through Early Intervention, it shouldn't be taking that long! Ours here has to have everything decided and in place (if therapy is going to be given) within 45 business days BY LAW. I'm not positive, but I think with him not using his legs, that would be PT, not OT....but as I said..not sure.

Standing, I'm not sure about, but he should be able to support his weight with his legs. Keep after them about the evaluations and get the ball rolling. Be proactive and don't let them tell you what's best if you have a suspicion if you think something is "off" or wrong!!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:25 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• He will pull himself up when he is ready. You can lay him on his back and bicycle his legs.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:28 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• My daughter was 8 weeks premature she was 2 pounds and 13 ounces. They did tell you that when it comes to preemies and milestones like sitting up and walking that you have to go from when they were supposed to be born not when they were born? Like at 8 months my daughter was doing 6 month milestones, but she pretty much evened out about 14 months she started walking, and from then on she was right on schedule with things. So remember your son may be 8 months old chronilogically but developmentally you need to go from when his original due date was. Now this doesn't happen with all preemies so his twin may be right on schedule, but don't worry now. I would only worry if he gets really behind. good luck.
    TeriMelisa

Answer by TeriMelisa at 7:40 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• You could try a walker or a saucer. My little girl can't support herself on her legs bc she is only 4 months old, but she likes to play in the walker bc she can push up in it.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 7:48 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• He will stand by himself when he is ready. He is only 8 months. That would be early. Give him time time to develop on his own. Don't worry about it.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 9:02 AM on Apr. 26, 2009