So God in the court room?

I am a christian but I was wondering what is next. I was thinking about God in our court system and it hit me, if they took Him out of the pledge then why do people not complain about pulling him out of court?

"Do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth so help you God?"

why is that different than the pledge?

Alysia_Moore

Asked by Alysia_Moore at 12:58 AM on Apr. 26, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• They don't use a bible nor that phrase in the court room- this is not Law and Order, this is REAL life.

Oh, and isn't swearing an oath a no-no in your religion?
    James 5:12 But above all, my brethren, do not swear, either by heaven or by earth or with any other oath; but your yes is to be yes, and your no, no, so that you may not fall under judgment.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:18 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• It's not any different IMO.
    hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 1:01 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Separation of church and state, and all that. If I was made to swear on a bible, it would be an empty oath, as I don't believe in God.
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 1:05 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• No. "They" don't get rid of God. The will of God will never lead you to somewhere that the Grace of God can't protect you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:12 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• How do Atheist swear in the court room?

zachsmom900

Answer by zachsmom900 at 1:12 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Atheists "affirm." As in I do solemly swear or affirm.....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:15 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• K so your saying that an atheist murderer can take the stand and swear on all that is Holy and walk away scott free if they believe him? WOW! I FEEL SAFE!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:22 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Why is it any Different that a "Christian" Murderer swearing on the Bible and getting off scott free,
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 1:29 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Thankfully anonymous this isn't the 1800s and we have more to go on than the accused's testimony. Like lawyers, evidence, witnesses, DNA......if someone killed someone and decided to lie about it in court I really think they're so messed up of a person that who cares with their faith is? Whatever it is, they obviously don't value it.
    aurorabunny

Answer by aurorabunny at 1:31 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I have testified in court before, and I never had to swear on a bible. I just had to raise my right hand and say, "I swear to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth." They never asked me to say "So help me God", either. Is it just that Washington State is different than where you live?
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 1:36 AM on Apr. 26, 2009