What would cause contractions to stop so abruptly?

Two days in a row, I've been contracting with pattern. The night before I was at 4-6 minutes per contraction, and last night- after walking a considerable amount (well over an hour) they were up to 2-3 minutes apart, to the point I had to have my husband come pick me up, because it hurt too much to walk anymore. (I had been walking around the block over and over)
We are homebirthing, so there was no need to rush off to a hospital. I get in the house and decide to lay down in a comfortable position and the contractions are still cominge every 2-3 minutes for a good hour with no need to push at all. I'm thinking at this point delivery will come during the middle of the night.
Suddenly, everything slows down- my contactions come 5-8 minutes apart, then only once every 10 minutes which is where they are now. Some hurt so bad they woke me when I slept- others were weak. Ahhhh whats going on!?!?
PS. This is our 7th child.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:34 AM on Apr. 26, 2009 in Pregnancy

• These were full on contractions though- not the normal braxton hicks. I had them coming from my back and going all the way up my uterus (and after 6 kids, I am well aware of the difference these days lol). Thats is why I am so confused. I know they were not BH CX.

I'm going to start walking again here in a few minutes, as they are starting to pick up again in intensity.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:15 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• could just be irritation contractions ....that can be painful too
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 7:51 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• You are having braxton hicks, hate to say it!!! You are getting ready and it could be any day now that you will go into labor. I remember with my first pregnancy me and my family were walking around the mall to "get things going". About half way through the mall I just couldn't walk any more and he pressure was awful. When we got home I tried hot shower(didn't do tub because to afraid of infection) and it didn't work, but after some rest it eased. The next evening the contractions radiated from my lower stomach to the inner thighs, and was in labor. I know you're tired and just want to get comfortable ad be able to move freely again but don't rush it, go with it. Keep up the walking until labor set on, it helps with birthing in so many ways!!!
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 9:02 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I assume by now you've had your baby but am interested to know your experience. I'm 40 weeks with #4 and am having the same experience. Every contraction yesterday was so painful that I just hoped my water would break and relieve some of the pressure. I couldn't even keep my eyes closed during some of them. Then it tapered off and .... nothing. I'm so glad to see your post that your contractions were definitely NOT BH. I keep trying to convince my midwife of that but she seems to think I'm exaggerating. Hope you had a smooth birth and am looking for any hope you can provide :-)

TikiMama
    TikiMamaTo4

Answer by TikiMamaTo4 at 6:12 AM on May. 4, 2009