Blood around umbilical stump?

My baby is almost 2 wk old, yesterday I noticed that around his umbilical stump there is blood. It's not free-flowing, its just crusted up and when I tried to clean it it spotted a little bit. Is this normal?

MunchiesMom324

Asked by MunchiesMom324 at 8:30 AM on Apr. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it is getting ready to fall off. my daughters did that too. it was three days after that happened that it fell off. there was also a little spot of blood on the inside of her diaper. nothing to worry about as long as its not flowing. just keep it clean with rubbing alcohol, and even warm water. if it starts pussing or smells or bleeding more then call the dr. right away.

Always
    ~Syl~
    Fae-Lee
    F43L34

Answer by F43L34 at 2:35 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

• I remember my son had that. It's completely normal.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:34 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• yeah it's normal. just keep cleaning it and the stump will fall off and the spotting will stop.
    gabenmikeysmom

Answer by gabenmikeysmom at 8:39 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Its getting ready to fall off. Just keep wiping area with a q-tip slighty moist with rubbing alcohol(also helps dry it faster, some will argue that, EVERY baby is different just like no two pregnancies are the same). But blood is normal and can be caused by a number of things!!! The ONLY time ANY mother should worry is when the umbilical cord is not drying AND OR there is an overwhelming stench. The stench is foul and once you smell it you know somethings not right!!!
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 8:51 AM on Apr. 26, 2009