Can/do interfaith marriages last?

I have an interfaith marriage...Eric is Agnostic leaning towards Christianity and I am Pagan.

I hear so often that interfaith marriages can not last. What is your opinion on this? What drives your opinion...personal experience, religious beliefs?

If you are in an interfaith marriage, how do you and your s/o deal with the topic of religion, especially when in regards to your children?

anetrnlov

Asked by anetrnlov at 8:40 AM on Apr. 26, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• My husband believes in God, and occasionally reads his bible. He does not go to church and is not very religious at all. I do not believe in God at all. We get along great, he respects my beliefs and I his. We do not push one on the other or on our son. In fact we have never talked to our son about religion. (He is only 3). When the time comes we will let our son decide for himself what he wants to believe in. We've been together almost five yeas now, and it has never been a problem for us. As long as you work on your relationship and don't but your differences before that, then you should have a long happy marriage. Good luck!!
    AnnHenderson

Answer by AnnHenderson at 8:49 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• My husband is Baptist and i'm Pagan. We don't have a problem with each other at all in the religon criteria. ¬
    kittie1919104

Answer by kittie1919104 at 8:55 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• My uncle was Baptist and my aunt Catholic. They were married for 40 years before his death. I guess you consider that interfaith and lasting.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:03 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Eric and I have been married 3 1/2 years, together 4 1/2 years and were best friends for 11 years before we got together.

Religion has never been an issue for us but I always hear that interfaith marriages cannot last.

anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 9:12 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• My parents aren't as drastic as some of these relationships, my father is Catholic and my mother Baptist. They have been together going on 30 years now. My husband is Pagan and I am more Agnostic with no idea of any religion that fits my ideals. If that makes sense. We are very happily married. We have only been together 6years, but it has been a great six years. As far as our children go, we will teach them that there are many religions, that there are no rights or wrongs (with the exceptions of cults because they cause more pain than anything else) and that they can take all the time they need finding the one that is right for them.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 9:14 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Interfaith marriages have just as much change as any other marriage if you are willing to put in the work and remember why you got married in the first place. You love each other and there is probably not a religion that can change that. You will have ups and downs like every other marriage. But if you don't just throw in the towel at the first signs of trouble, you can make it work. Don't let other people dictate your life because it doesn't follow their standards and don't assume that everyone elses experience will become your own. You live your life and enjoy your Agnostic husband in everything that he is, not what faith he practices.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 9:19 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• Snap! Interfaith marriages have just as much chance...not change.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 9:20 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• My Mom was Catholic and Dad a Southern Baptist they`ve been wed for 55 yrs and counting! Oh by the way they had 10 children, 5 of each. They can survive anything!
    loveeeyore

Answer by loveeeyore at 9:22 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• What is your opinion on this? Of course interfaith marriages can last! It really depends on how respectful the SOs are of each others beliefs and don't try or care to change their SOs beliefs or downgrade them etc. Now I am sure it is very difficult if one or both insist that their children ONLY be taught their religion or something, but as long as it is approached with mutual respect and understanding, I don't see why not. I personally believe some people insinuate interfaith marriages can't work because of their own religious convictions or bad examples.

What drives your opinion...personal experience, religious beliefs? Both

how do you and your s/o deal with the topic of religion, especially when in regards to your children?

We respect each others beliefs and don't try to push our beliefs on each other or claim one is wrong or the other. cont.....

hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 9:40 AM on Apr. 26, 2009

• And we will raise our daughter with both of our faiths playing a role. My only issue is that she not be told some specific things about Christianity until she is older ( she is 3 now) and he respects that 100% and understands.

hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 9:46 AM on Apr. 26, 2009